FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 04, 2024, 04:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR front springs in FE  (Read 4483 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »

Hi, when converting front of FE to HR, wouldnt the hr springs be a bit heavier and ride height be a bit high? is it best to swap to lowered springs or just keep the originals ride height wise? id like opinions from people who have actually done them, but i understand a lot would depend on how worn or saggy the springs might be, but as a general rule, id probably be better getting lowered to be on safe side?

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
John253a
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »

i haven't fitted one in an fc but done a few in 30's rods
and i always leave stock,(or as purchased) until whole car is test fitted,
measure up front and rear height, and choice the best option then,

there are many thing that come into play, with the height and ride quality.
but once the engine and wheels are sorted, that's when you start playing

dont mean to be vague on the subject, but idd rebuilt the front end with the shockers and springs you have (try to identify first what they are)
then work out the height difference you want and go from there
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »

sorry i forgot to say that this is based on a stock grey motor being fitted.

John, I think you are right with the test fit etc. and stiffer lowered springs arent always best on our shitty rural vic roads with many huge bumps etc. its easy to change the springs in the car i guess, but just after a general rule on the standard hr springs if ya know what i mean and how they go on a stock standard car in general. How you going John, have you started the rebuild on yours yet or still getting everything ready.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
John253a
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:02:45 AM »

still need to find a few more things,
and sore out some other issues im having, as we all do (minster of time allocation and finance as were in the process of looking for a new house)+ i just spend the most of the money saved for the project on a new toolbox

sorted out my engine, decided natural aspirated, with bigger cam, started mocking up some plates to fit roller rockers (1.65:1)
looking into modifying block to fit roller lifters, (but may not happen)
still cant find anyone that modify my treeshift for a 5spd box (Can get syncro 3 and m20)

so i dare say ill be looking this time next year pulling it down
in the process of fitting electronic injection, but found some burnt out wire under dash only supplying me 9-10v at coil under load
so there first on the agenda
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »

HR front springs do not fit in a stock front end. Best plan is a set of 2 inch lowered heavy duty springs, but cutting 1 coil from a set of wagon, ute or van front springs is also a cheap alternative. Wagon, ute & van front springs are stiffer than sedan ones.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »

Thanks Ken, i thought cutting springs was bad  Shocked Shocked Shocked i mean when you are replacing old one with a hr front end and the front end has normal springs in it already. Probably didnt explain that bit properly. I know that springs aren't interchangeable. Just doing forward planning. Thanks for the tip Ken on the commercial springs.

Deano

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »

Cutting springs is technically illegal but I included the option because it is commonly done.
In my opinion stock HR springs in a HR front end on an FE will make the front too high. The recommended lowered springs is still the best option. I got round the problem by fitting dropped stubs. This gives the best of both worlds.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:44 PM »

Thanks. Id rather lower ride height than have it high, but if you can get the height with the dropped stubs, then it truly does alleviate some of those issues of b-double highway bumps that get the car into a bouncing pattern and hard springs make the ride just that bit more un-enjoyable (think i just created a word Ken). I muck around with stub height on my kart and it makes a difference with the handling just changing a few washers etc. I guess it is same with a car.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »

Ken do you know where in Tassie the Nationals would be held?

Deano

collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:36:19 AM »

Hobart

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: