FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 01:24:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: High or Low Compression Head ??  (Read 4154 times)
FE 4 ME
qld-club

Model: FE

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »

Hi Guys,
    just a quick tech/Mod question regarding the head choice for a 186 motor.... What is best for a 186 Motor, a High or Low compression Head ( Yella Terra ) ?

I've been told that Yella Terra heads are the best and others say no good.... VK Head is the best...blue head is the best... go a 12 port..9 ports are better cause 12 ports get too hot......

CONFUSED  Huh

what's the best for a 186 guys Huh 

hope you can help ( im sure of it, hence the post ) me and i gather others who just dont know nor have the experience to know

thankx

"Have A Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!" SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

If your after power, the yellaterra roller rocker head would be the way to go, if you just want a cruiser then the holden 9 port low comp head will do the job. The kiss method is the way to cut down on problems,(keep it simple stupid). If money is not an issue then go the full 9 yards yella terra head, triple cabs and tune length extractors as well as a over bore will make it go real hard, it just depends on what you want to do with it. Back in the old days I had an fb with a 192 fitted with a 179 head,350 holley, extractors and 4 speed it went really well and was a reliable car as well.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »

I agree, the newer yella terra heads are very good teemed with extractors and a holley and you will have a strong reliable engine.

Ken
John253a
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

if your just after good fuel economy and a bit of extra power, bolt on a black 12 port head (youll need to dirll 4 holes in top of block for water jacket 20min tops)
its setup for ulp and will give you around 9.2:1 comp (56cc chambers same as hc head)
ive set a few up with a crow 35631 cam (200/204@50 400/415 lift 112lc)
this is a gas cam, in the old talk tq20, it goes very well in a stock engine (what its designed for) it is the biggest cam for a stock engine with no mods,

if you access to die grinder, de-Burr the head and give the exhaust a quick polish, about 1hr work and itll pay off also

with a good carby and extractors youll be close to 200hp if not just over it,

the last one i built was a red 202, black head, straight cut t/gear, basic port job, 35631 cam, 350 holley and extractors made just under 170bhp

brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »

FE 4ME,
You will need to check a few things before you decide. If you have flat top pistons and use a high comp yella terra, then because we no longer have super petrol, the engine will ping. This means you could eventually do serious damage to the engine. You need to speak to an engine builder and discuss your needs with him and then decide the best course to take. In todays world we have to compromise on what we want if you want to run unleaded petrol and not have to put in additives which ultimately will cost you dearly.
Brett
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
+1

If you go to the fb-ek forum,look under Technical,click on engines,go to page 4,there's a red 6 detailed full comp description on 9-12port heads plus everything else you need to know,you'll need to sit down with a 6pack though! Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: