FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 10:57:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holley 350 Rebuild  (Read 9864 times)
FE 4 ME
qld-club

Model: FE

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »

Hi Guys,
   It's been awhile since i've got back into my FE Project and on here for help or helping...well i have posted a thread in reproduction section only to help others and raise funds for the FE/FC Qld Club  ( a lot of things have happened this year and ive kinda lost my motivation) so i'm hoping to re-motivate myself.

I did a search on here in posted threads regarding "Holley 350 Rebuild" but came up with nothing, so can anyone help please ?

My question(s).... My Holley 350 has been sitting around for a long while now, so a re-build is on the cards, ive re-built a few carby's over  time, not by choice, more by need so i have a rough idea ( you know put back the same as you took out the same way in reverse...and use every screw hehehe !  Huh )

Are Holley 350's a drama or easy to re-kit ?

Is there a trick to setting the jets and tuning i should look out for ?

or am i best to save up and wait to buy a reco or new Holley 350 to save time and headaches in the long term ?

your experience and wisdom would be very much appreciated

Thankx my Holden Mates, i've been really enjoying while taken a step back reading all your threads and project re-builds....so much help, so much experience on here...THIS FORUM IS GREAT ...thankx guys and girls out there

"Have A Great ( FE ) Holden Day !!! "  SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »

I think it would largely depend on what engine your going to run it on and manifold, head work etc.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:jApb8AdXBaUJ:www.obd-obdii.com/obd-data/General-OBD/350%2520Holley%2520Tech%2520Data%2520for%2520Holden%2520Red-Blue-Black%2520Six.pdf+%22350+holley%22+rebuild+holden&hl=en&gl=au&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShIkaEcn4QkK6pkYs-HGejtxHCSkQSRaTu5AQq1in-ne0JVvCFNt0hqMQWMBlIxTGJurAYUK5BedOIkwkKZPhdcEvARCGnlLhJqmnWu4uZNxsAKpf9IgQgj4CKtjyrSo5lnNSuk&sig=AHIEtbR-GeJCGdQ4BiuZOWtI5XRgsydqLA

here is an article with jet sized for Holden sixes. But it really will depend on the application.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »

Thankx for your reply, i will check it out, but to answer the question, i have a 186 ( i think warm ) motor

hope that helps my quest

"Have A Great ( FE ) Holden day !!!" SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »

FE 4 Me,

I like Holleys - and believe that provided:
a) the size is chosen for the right engine (resisting the temptation to put a Dominator on a whipper snipper),
b) they are rebuilt (most spend a few years accumulating dirt and spiders in someones garage), and
c) they are jetted, pumped and powervalved right by someone who understands how they work,

, then they are a pretty good choice, and no harder to understand than the original Stromberg (if I can get my head around a vac seconday 600, then anyone can  Grin). It will be no more hassle to rebuild and tune yours than to buy and tune a new one.

I love the fact that parts are readily available and interchangeable.

I've got some info to hand (part numbers, assembly diagram, jet sizing from the link below etc) that may help, though it needs a tidy up - happy to forward you a copy if it's useful (pm me an email address).

Cheers,
Harv.
87 velo
nsw-club

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »

Make sure you use the right gasket behind the metering block, (between main body and float bowl) there are two types from memory, if you use the wrong one it runs very rich as it draws in fuel in through a vacuum port.

If you can get hold of a vacuum gauge it is also easy to select the right power valve, make sure you connect it to good size hole like PCV port on manifold, you don't want to dampen the movement of the needle on the gauge, take note of the lowest reading at idle, if for example the needle fluctuates between 10 and 15 inches at idle select a power valve lower than 10 (the valves are labled at their opening point, 80 opens at 8.0 and below)this prevents the valve opening at idle. 

Have a good look at the throttle shaft in the base plate, excessive play there means air will leak in making it hard to set the idle mixture, spray WD 40 around it when running and if it's leaking the idle will change (keep fire extinguisher handy) .  If its got to much play you can have them re-bushed.

Try and get the reusable gaskets ( I think Holley does them) saves a lot of time and money, because you will probably have the carb apart a few times to get it right. 

The float height is easy to adjust screw and lock nut on top of the bowl, there is a level plug on the side.  there are different positions for the accelerator and cams available as well. 

As Harv said they're not a bad carb, and easy to live with, you will soon get your head around it

Cheers Mick
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »

Cheers guys,

ive read and re-read through your replies and links, im not sure if i understand a bit more or i'm more confused or need to do more research..having said that, that's not a bad thing, it means i will understand a lot more if i pursue more information ...information + understanding = Wisdom and getting the job done right...
Once again thankx for your input

i guess im kool about installing a kit, im more concerned about tuning, installing the jets and getting it to run smooth/ right .... i think i will do more research on what parts are in the kits, thankx 87 Velo

Harv i might get that info off you if you dont mind...will send you a PM thankx...

fewithrb30 thankx for that link, i printed it out  .... it all helps

the journey has just begun  Tongue

"Have A Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!"

FE 4 ME

FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

Thankx Harv,
   I got your email, got up to page 5/6 until the kids came to take me off and be DAD before they go to bed... from what ive seen so far it's very encouraging....great stuff, thankx for taking the time to write all your knownledge so people like me can share and understand what seems so hard, so much easier...let me know when you complete your detailed info on this great manual type reference to the Holley 350 rebuild and adjusting

much appreciated...ive been looking at the Holley 350 kits on ebay... something like the below...what do you think..any good ??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARBURETTOR-REPAIR-KIT-HOLLEY-2BBL-320CFM-350CFM-7448-/200572421159?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb30c4427

thankx for your input and help

"Have A Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!" SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »

Kit looks OK, but try to get one with the reuseable fuel bowl and metering block gaskets like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLLEY-REUSABLE-BOWL-GASKET-SET-320-350-500-2BL-/220807747528?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33692ad7c8
As Mick said, the bowl and block will be on and off a few times as you tune it to suit you motor... the paper type gaskets don't last very long with hard loving  Grin.

Cheers,
Harv.
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38:51 PM »

Thankx Harv.............

....Hehe i did see that and it was on my watch list...thankx for looking out for me.. your help and advise is very much appreciated..that goes for everyone's help...thankx guys..the mind is open and keen to get on with it !!

"Have A Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!" SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: