FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 08:13:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Nomad?  (Read 5371 times)
Dutchy

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »

I think I posted this message in the wrong place so I'll start again. In 1968 whilst living in Moonee Ponds (Melbourne) I purchased a FC what I call a Nomad. It was a 2 door station wagon, dark blue with white roof, blue and white interior trim with tilt forward bucket seats and the normal bench rear seat with tailgate and standard lift up rear window. As far as I can tell it was factory made, not customised. I was told that only three were produced but later on was told five. Unfortunately we had a disagreement with a power pole and it went to the wreckers in Essendon. I only have two photos of it one head on and one of the offside front guard but none of the complete vehicle. Can anyone substantiate whether there were actually any of these Nomads made? It's been annoying me for years.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »

While I was at a wreckers the other month the bloke there was telling me about all the FC he wrecked back in the day, then he went on about a rare "nomad" FC that a bloke up North owned and wanted to sell. I gave him my card and asked him to chase it up, never heard back from him though  Undecided

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »

Sounds like a vannet .......FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
fink fc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »

HEY DUTCHY.ANY CHANCE YOU CAN GET THOSE PHOTOS ON THE FORUM PLEEZ.I'M GUESSING IT'S A HEARSE.THANKS.GAZ.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:01 PM »

It's possibly one of these, commonly reffered to as a Vannette

they are based on a panel van, this one has Station Sedan badges and two tone paint

It has no spare tyre door, but a floor hatch inside, it also has unusual strengthening beams under the floor

No rear seat, but has full headliner and wood grain lining on the sides with linoleum on the floor and tailor made alluminium strips holding it down

and 2 bonnet mascots to top it off!

Dutchy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 05:47:15 AM »

Will try to find the pictures, I have boxes of photos scattered around the house & shed so it may take awhile. It definately wasn't a hearse though. It looked like the vanette except it had a rear seat and only one bonnet ornament. I don't remember where the spare tyre was fitted but I dont think it was accessible from inside.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »

i've seen the vannettes with a rear seat think i've seen 2 (and they'de be the only 2 i've ever seen) but i assume rear seat would be quite easy to add
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »
+1

If it had no spare tyre door like the one pictured, it would have been unusual. I have not seen very many.

A little history.
The vanette was a production panel van converted to a wagon type vehicle by bodybuilders after it left the factory. They came with a rear seat and windows and sometimes a 3rd door on the passenger side as well - these are relatively common - I have owned 3 and seen dozens more. Basically the body builders added parts to a standard van for as little money as possible - none of the ones I have owned or seen had the spare tyre door removed.
It is possible however that the vehicle shown was converted from a van by a body builder on request to make it look a bit smarter at the rear.

The other conclusion is that it may in fact be a production vehicle based on the Chev nomad done in a small run by the factory. I do have other evidence of small production run cars made which were different to the normal so it is possible - As for there only being 1 or 2, I would expect more than that were done - more like 50 to a 100.
I would need to see how the seat conversion was done in order to verify a production line fitment or not.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »
+1

Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: