FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 08:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering setup - collapsible rack and pinion  (Read 4463 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:18:56 PM »

I have been reading a fair few posts about steering setups. I am sort of collecting bits for the front end of the FE so I can collect things ahead of time for the eventual assembly.

I am thinking of a collapsible steering column from an HG type era. Is this similar to a UC torana? Did Holden start using the collapsible column before the ADR came out? Which one is the easiest to adapt to keep the top looking 50's. Also I have heard how people talk about welding suspension components. I think the rear mounted would be the go, would a LH or UC one be ok (I think there are a few types). I have access to a vl commodore wreck, what about the column or any parts from this?

My question for the Guru's is - Is the actual HR front end crossmember actually part of the suspension or only the wishbones and other gear connecting to it? Onviously it legal to weld stuff the the crossmember, but I believe it may be necessary to have the welds certified if doing by the book. can anyone shed any light on this please, particularly those who are or have recently gone through engineers etc.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »

Give Rod's Racks a call. Rod's great at giving out advice. Nice guy, too.
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

Rod did a conversion for me using VL bottom collapsable part and FC top part. Done a good job and it also puts the steering wheel 100mm closer to the dash so it's not under your chin. Here's a pic, jack
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

Thanks Jack. That has answered a bit for me about the VL one. good pics too i appreciate it.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: