FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 01, 2024, 06:22:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed with FE door window  (Read 2054 times)
sweet Effie

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:13 PM »

Hi Guys

woke up the other morning and found someone had smashed one of my door windows.

Just not sure where to start. Is this easy to replace? Do I have to find an old piece of
glass?

Its the front passenger side door that has been smashed on my FE.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Andrea

Oh and I'm knew at this website so I hope I posted it in the right spot.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:57:48 PM »

Hi Andrea

When you say it is the front window that has been smashed I assume that it is the large window and not the 1/4 window (Small one)

Fairly easy to replace, but I have replaced a few of them over time.

You will need a replacement door glass, preferably one with the channel attached.

To replace the door glass can be a bit fiddly, and you will need a special tool which are readily available from Supercheap, Repco Autopro etc, to remove the door and window winder handles. Once the door and window winder handles are off then you will need to remove the door trim. This will need to be done carefully to ensure that you don't break the cardboard or masonite that holds the door trim to the door. Use a screwdriver right next to the clip that holds the trim to the door and gently pry the clip from the door, ensuring that the clip doesn't break out of the door trim. If the clips start to break out of the door trim, then the door trim will become very second hand very quickly and not sit right at all when you try and get the trim back on.

Once the door trim is removed, remove the plastic liner from the door trim, trying not to damage the door liner. If it is the original one it will have a flap that goes in the inside to help water stay away from the door trim. As these get old they can become brittle so do try to be careful with it and try not to tear or break it.

At this point try and vacuum up all the glass that is in the bottom of the door. Whne you wind the window down you will see a channel that is sitting on a roller, if it hasn't fallen off the door. Remove this channel. You will see where the window winder regulator (the part that makes the window wind up and down) attaches to the door. This will need to removed from the door frame.You will also need to loosen the window slide to allow the window to fit back in.  Install the glass, ensuring that the channel is on the side to attach to the window winder regulator. This can be a bit fiddly to get into place, however once you have the window back in the guides retighten and adjust the guides so that the window slides up fairly easily and that there isn't too much play that will allow the window to "rock" and stick.

From this point install the window winder regulator ensuring that the roller fits into the channel, and try and wind it up and down a few times. If it seems to tight or too loose in the guides, adjust the guides to suit.

Install the liner, door trim, refit the door and window winder handles ensuring that the clips are on the correct way, which is the open end to the long part of the handle. and your all done.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
sweet Effie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »

Thanks Keith

That's a great help.

I'll pass all that info over to my brother who will be doing the deed!

Now just need to find the glass with rail. I put up a post under
parts wanted so fingers crossed someone has one laying around.

Thanks again
Andrea
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: