FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:00:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Codes for Skyline Blue (2051) on Fountain Blue (9741)  (Read 8299 times)
FESteve
qld-club

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:41 AM »

Hi Guys,

My father and I are looking to repaint our two tone blue ute Fountain Blue on Skyline Blue and are looking for paint codes that might give us the right colours.  I say repaint as we painted it 2 years ago trying to colour match a door we had and we got colours that are too dark.  The codes 9741 (Fountain Blue) and 2051 (Skyline Blue) were of no assistance to us as these codes ment nothing to our painter or local paint suppliers. All input appreciated.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

The codes 2051 and 9741 are BALM paint codes, which fell out of use many years ago. Even the old books aren't a great deal of use, because the colour swatches in them have gone dark over the years, and in any case the formulae they show are for the tinters used in nitrocellulose lacquer (lead-enamel). For what they're worth, here they are:

Skyline, 1958

Skyline, 1959

Fountain Blue

Ring Dulux-PPG customer service, tell them the name, the code and the year of the paint colour you're after, and they'll be able to find it and provide two-pack or acrylic alternatives. The year is important, because there were two different formula for Skyline Blue, a 1958 and a 1959 version.

PPG Australia
Customer Service & Technical Support
13 24 24

Toll Free Fax
1800 800 819

Hope that's helpful.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
GMVAN

Model: FC

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »

Hi FE Steve I too am painting an FC Van in its original colour & had lots of trouble getting the right paint codes so I rang PPG in Clayton Vic. they gave me a code of A020 3541.2 / A129 3788.2 / A245 3841.8 / A150 3956.6 / A420 3988.9 / A135 4088.9       I got my paint supplier to make up a sample & it was perfect he also made up a sample of a code I got off the forum but it was too dark to be the original colour so I went with the codes I wrote here. Hope this helps you out, You can check out my van under FCV8VAN in projects forum hard too see colour properly but it is nice colour.

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »

RET,

I've got 2 shades of (Skyline) blue on my car. (The headlight peaks were repaired many moons ago and the front guards repainted. If both are Skyline blue, then I suspect the earlier (1958) version is a lighter blue, while the 1959 version seems to be a tad darker (a bit more grey in it?).  Is this correct - cos I like what I think is the 1958 colour better and I'm about to do the guards (again) and the bonnet.

Thanks,

martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »

Looking closely at the formulae, they're identical. I don't know why it's recorded separately in the paint book.

Sorry for creating confusion.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:06:24 PM »

Well, I wonder what I've got??!!   Huh

Maybe it's just "old" and "not-quite-as-old"   Smiley

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
GMVAN

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »

Hi all I was told by a paint mixer at Preston Motors In Dandenong Vic. that they changed the colours to Police Blue in about 1975, think it was when the police cars were painted in the same colour which was a bit darker than the original.

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »

Martin, I would not automatically assume that the paints that were mixed for your car were exactly right. The differences you see may be just variations in paint colours due to matching.
Skyline Blue did not continue past 1959
Police Blue is 585-4500

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: