FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 26, 2024, 07:18:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: rack and pinion steering.  (Read 22984 times)
haffa67

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »

will a Holden LC LJ Torana Steering Rack Pinion steering fit a hr front end in a holden fc. thanks haffa67
gwuthie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »

That's a good question. I'd like to know the answer.
i know that for it to fit without shortening it would have to line up with the centre of the lower control arm bush pins, which works out to be about Huh  somewhere around 50 - 55 cm from memory.??

If there was a p/s rack that exact length then that would be well good!

I assume?

GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »

It has to be fitted on the front of the front end.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »

I have a rear mounted rack on my Ute not LC LJ  but it is VH Commodore ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »

Years ago my old man spent weeks setting up a LJ torana rack on the rear of his hot rod cleared everything looked good then one day after school i was mucking around in it put the wheel on and turned the steering wheel left and the wheels went right i pissed myself laughing and waited for him to get home said check out your steering he was not very happy at all.

As for LJ on Hr Front end it would be the same drama as LH LX it would need to be shortened in the guts and the arms extended as it would put all your geometry out the window
Better off with a shortened Commodore on the rear as you get full lock or a hot rod mate uses camira apparently they pivot in the correct spot havent had a look at one though.

julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
+1

HI

I have a front mounted rack in my V8 EH and if you want my opinion don't use one they drive OK forward with a bit bump steer and have a horrible turning circle very frustrating when you can,t park it at a shopping centre without doing a 3 point turn to get in. I intend to get rid of it eventually and put a fabricated front end in it after I finish my FC, by the way I got rid of the HR front end and rack in my FC and had a fabricated one made a few years ago.

I heard that Pat Gardener makes a good Front end and seems to fit well as a mate of mine has one in his FJ.

Don't by the Hadfield set up the Pat Gardner one is better according to my mate and my experience in my EH.

Regards

Julius

Julius
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »

my mate had an LC/LJ rack on a HR front in his EH and i also had the same setup in an EK, had to make an extender from the rack end to the tierod end, this wasn't perfect but i'm yet to find a rack conversion that is, but it was very good no bad bump steer good turning circle it was WAY better than a shortened rack setup (think hadfield) that we had in another car

remember this is from somebody that has actually had what yor asking about
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »

I have the front mounted rack on a HR front end in my FE and i don't find it too bad but i expected it to be like that when i first did it. When i did my v8 conversion there was nothing else around so i was stuck with whatever i could get, and being young and niave, i wouldn't have thought of doing something myself. Oh how things have changed. I would not hesitate to look at doing something myself now.
 When looking for a rack you need to find one that is currently used on the rear of a cross member such as the Commodore, unlike the Torana which is mounted on the front of a Torana cross member.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »

I have the V6conversions front end for my ute, and have just put a VS powers steering rack on it. The way to do this was to buy the core unit that had been overhauled and get some blank steering rods(not sure what the extensions are called)... cut them to size via an engineer and then get them to put the correct thread in for your tie rod ends to suit your steering arms. The rods are very easy to install on the rack and i did this myself. I cant remember the length taken off but I used VT series 1 tie rods so had the thread made to suit. Lock to lock is awesome and i cant wait to try it out on the road one day. You can see the front end mid way through my build on 365 days, or go to http://www.v6conversions.com.au

Hope this helps,
JB

Phone +64 223509263
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »

Have a look at Rod Racks also    http://www.rodsracks.com.au/
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »

An LH-LX Torana rack will fit a HR front end - I am considering going down this route with my FC.

A [Commodore] rear mounted rack will require modification to the sump, whereas the front mount does not.

Regards,

Ol_Girl_58
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

A [Commodore] rear mounted rack will require modification to the sump, whereas the front mount does not.

Regards,

Ol_Girl_58
No mods required if EH sump used on a red 6  only needs a Starfire oil filter adapter to clear steering shaft .....FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: