FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 10, 2024, 10:41:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to store an FC for about 10 years  (Read 4481 times)
fossil

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »

Hi,

I've just received a rather nice overseas job offer, and I'd like to store my FC, which has been in the family since new (I've had is 30 years, Dad has it for 10 and Grandpa had is first) so I can restore it when I retire.  The kids (now young adults) are not getting her - at least for some years.  What are the best ways to store the old girl. I've trying to get a clean dry shed somewhere in suburbia. It could be for up to ten years.
She doesn't have much rust (Always been garaged)

Put her on Blocks is obvious? Should I drain the brake fluid? Should I overfill the sump. Should I  get the engine turned over occasionally? Any tips

Thanks
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »

Take it with you?

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »

I'd definately drain the brake fluid and the cooling system and
- Put a baking tray of baking soda in the boot and on the floor in the interior. Soaks up smells and moisture.
- Mouse/Rat traps would be a good idea if the car is being checked regularly, baiting would have them crawling away and expiring in nooks and crannies Lips sealed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:34:18 AM by stinky » Logged

jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

If it is being checked ergularly the getting them to rotate the wheels on the rear is also a good idea to keep oiling the diff internals so moisture doesnt rust the parts not submerged.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »

Jason,

wouldn't that diff theory also hold true for the gearbox?

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »

Yep sure would mate if its on blocks it could be put in any gear and rotate the wheels to oil up everything and also if possibly I would put diff oil in the gearbox and fill it up as much as possible

Golden Holdens FE-FC
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »

Fossil
I will store it for you Wink, but do not know if you will get it back Cool.

Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
fossil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:31 AM »

>

Thanks to all for the useful technical tips. Btw, it a her, not an it.

> Paul In Ireland said Take it with you?
Paul, I assume you did take yours. I'm looking at the States where the side of the road they drive on is an issue.
(And salt in the winter snow might do bad things to her)

> FC0058 (Jim) said  I will store it for you, but do not know if you will get it back
Jim, I'm half inclined to gift her to a worthy someone - on the grounds I get visiting rights.

> Jasonr70002 said ...diff oil in the gearbox...

Jason, why would differential oil make a difference?

Thanks again

Richard

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »

Well, I drive american cars here which is the wrong side of the road to them. I also drive my work van in europe which is the wrong side of the road for it - trust me, you get used to it very quickly and it's not a problem. As for the winter - don't take it out - simple. If you took it with you, you would find the yanks have loads of stuff very well priced for doing resto work and it would be something you could restore and nurture whilst you are over there. For a few grand to transport it, it may be actually cheaper to take it with you, did you consider that?

Besides, you can take it to car shows there and you'll meet some great people and make new friends very quickly.

P
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: