FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Brake Repairs  (Read 2525 times)
Sam Muscat

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »

I have a FC and I am currently carrying out repairs to the brakes, I have removed all wheels to inspect the brake wheel cylinders and 3 out of the 4 are leaking.  Should I remove all wheel cylinders and have them stainless steeled and if so who would be able to do this, or should I just replace the seals, clean them out and reassemble.
Also what brake fluid is recommended, any suggestion would be appreciated as I am always having brakes locking up when I drive and I want to get it right so I do not have to remove it all again.
Thank you,
Sam
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:36:32 PM »

You could possibly hone the wheel cylinders and fit new cups but brakes on these cars are prone to water based damage if the cars are only used infrequently.

Best bet is stainless sleeves. I've used these guys in the past and they are cheap and top notch work.

http://www.powerbrakes.com.au/

Just send them your parts and they refurbish and return.

There are a few reasons why it could be locking up. Oil on the linings, out of round drums, wrongly adjusted shoes, and sticking wheel cylinders are a few possible culprits.

As for brake fluid, anything name brand off the shelf at your local auto parts will be OK.

Post some pictures of your car if you can. I noticed that you are from Broken Hill. Is your car a local one? Must be still a few good ones out in the far west of NSW.
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »

Ill have a set of 4 wheel cylinders for sale next week they have driven less then 100kms went to rod run this weekend in canberra and now im putting a new driveline through the wagon open to offers
regards fatboy

fatboy
Sam Muscat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:41:52 PM »

Thanks for the replys, I will do some research this week and see what is available and whether it is worth it to repair or send mine away to resleeve.  I will also keep in mind of the set of 4 that are for sale, thank you.
My car has always been in Broken Hill and I am about the 4th owner,the car had a resto about 12 yrs ago but it is still very good as it has sat for about 8 years.  It just needs a few little things done as it has not been used much, such as the brakes.  I am just doing some tidying up and making it more reliable to drive.  You never know what you can find out in these small country towns, there are still a lot of very original cars around here, but there owners will not part with them.
Sam
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:51:53 PM by spm » Logged
Sam Muscat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »

Ill have a set of 4 wheel cylinders for sale next week they have driven less then 100kms went to rod run this weekend in canberra and now im putting a new driveline through the wagon open to offers
regards fatboy

Thank you I will keep this in mind.
Sam
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »

New wheel cylinders units are available. 

Also check on firewall to see if any fluid has leaked down behind master cylinders.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: