FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 10:19:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering  (Read 2792 times)
jasonr70002

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »

Hey all just wondering if anyone has done a collapsible column conversion without going with the rack and pinion set up.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »

Rods racks can modify your column... I think.

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »

There's no difference between a box and a rack as far as the column goes. You cut off the steering shaft from the steering box about 30 mm from the top of the box, make up a seal arrangement to stop dirt entering the steering box, then mill in a flat on the shaft to provide a lock position for the rag joint.

Ken
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:02:16 PM »

Once again mcl1959 I thankyou very much for your information it has been very helpful throughout my slow but getting there build and I will more than likely take that option for ease of fitment and save a bit of cash for now so that I can add the rack later when funds permit. What steering column would be a good one to use as well to go with it. I have a VP commodore here maybe that one or I have access to other types if there is one that fits better.
cheers Jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »

Please call me Ken - that's why I sign off all my posts using my name.

Length is the critical thing, LC LJ Torana are good because they are about the right length in stock form. Later Torana and Commodore may need to be shortened to suit your application.
I'm not sure that shortening a column to suit a box and then hoping to use it "as is" on a rack is a good idea - Generally with a rack you want the end of the column to just protrude from the firewall so the intermediate shaft (or shafts) has the least possible angle, whereas a column made to suit a box may protrude all the way out so that only a small amount of shaft is needed or even none at all .

All the Holden columns have a break away under dash fitting which must be retained for engineering purposes - This is what makes the collapsing function work. So they are all a bit fiddly to fit under the dash - they are not mounted like the original column at all.
Hope this makes sense

Ken
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »

Ken that makes perfect sense when I do the rack I will get a new column as well. Meanwhile I will look for an LC,LJ one.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: