FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 06, 2024, 07:43:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Racing Drivers Course  (Read 5546 times)
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »

I recently did a course to qualify for my cams licence at Oran Park. Held over 2 days in your own vehicle, preferably manual. Lots of braking exercises, swerving and recovery, cornering lines and vehicle control. Followed up by pracitce laps, a qualifying lap and a 5 lap race.
The other cars: Audi RS4, 911, Boxster, M3, several WRX's, Lotus Exige, 2 XR8 utes(one died), Supra, Fiat 128 circuit car, CV8, one I can't think of.
My car: VL. SL manual, no power steer, chopped exhaust(I blew the back off the muffler as well, then it sounded REALLY good), chopped springs, 15 inch wheels, decent steering wheel, full gauges. Otherwise stock.
The stats: 1st day, 107 km's, 36 lts of fuel, 1/2 worn new brake pads. No water or oil used in a 310,000 km car.
2nd day: 192 km's, about 45lts of fuel, brake pads wouldn't be much good now, no dramas except that it doesn't like to idle, probably due to having no exhaust to speak of. Right front tyre chewed up pretty well.
This is an unregistered car which was bought purely as a track practice car.
Anyone can do the course, you don't have to be going racing to do it. I would highly recommend doing something like this. I was completely surprised by how little I actually knew.
I had one lose, it was on my qualifying lap, 1m 25sec. Everyone else got below 1 min ute on the short circuit, except for 1 WRX. In the race I beat this WRX easily, it was driven by a girl, (who me, sexist?). All the other cars were blowing me away all day, even the Fiat. I wasn't lapped though. Top speed on the short straight that I saw was 150 k's. It would go faster but there was a big tyre wall there.

Colin.

colt
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »

Sounds like fun Colin as well as being of benefit to your skills.

Now, as the VL is only for practise, how about telling us about your real Holden race car is it ready to go yet ?

Gary

crossply

Model: FC

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »

i'd agree with Colin, the driving course is great fun!
I did it for my Cams licence about 5 years ago. One day on the track can teach you more about car control and cornering than years of road driving. It also highlights the fact that a good car doesn't make you a good driver. There was a couple on the same course as me with matching HSV's, you know the type, fully decked out with Skaifey and HRT gear, but absolutely no driving talent to match. Roll Eyes I had a great time kicking their arses with my 4cyl twin cab rodeo ute Grin
If you ever get the chance to do a track day, go for it!
Paul
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »

...ane once you get your licence, you can have some serious fun, even in a 20 year old Suzuki Swift!

A few laps at Oran Park south circuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1sBsCvVJ1M

At another track on the other side of the Blue Mountains...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYylWluWlBQ
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »

Yep, all good fun! My EH Appendix J racer is very close to being finished. We fired it up this afternoon for the first time. No radiator or some other stuff yet, but it RUNS! YeeHaa!

Now if I could just post some piccies.

Colin.

colt
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »

Colin,

That sounds pretty exciting. I presume that it will run in Nb?

Is it a rebuilt former racer or are you about to log book it for the first time?

I am about to get involved in historics as well - the Suzuki has been a great training car but I've always been drawn to old touring cars.

Regards

Ed
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »

So is nb the old appendix j class? would love to see some pics of the EH Colin, your vehicle too Ed, pics please, enjoyed watching your stoush on the U tube links
Gary
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »

Col, are you planning on losing a rear wheel over the dogleg?

If so, Reasonably Fast Eddie is your man. He is experienced in this department.

RFE is attracted to old touring cars because they are different people to smash into. Ask the guys in the IPRA. They will supply written references (panel beater quotes).

Hi Ed.  Grin Grin Grin
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »

Zulu,

Group N is the historic class that covers old touring cars, which I believe is the same category referred to as Appendix J.

Col could probably confirm that.

I understand Group N is divided into 3 categories for different periods.

Group Na is up to 1957

Group Nb is up to 1964

Group Nc is up to 1972

These are approximate dates.

I have a Group C race car which fits into the 1973-84 touring car period. Group A follows from 1985 to 1992.

They have also recently introduced a category for historic sports sedans  - Group U I think.

The next big event for historic touring cars is Muscle Car Masters, over the weekend of 5-6th September at Eastern Creek where I will debut my Group C Commodore.

Regards

Ed

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

You got the classes right, ED. I will be running in Nb. I'm hoping Tim (hint Timmy) will post a couple of things for me shortly.

I'm thinking of doing my flags requirement at Muscle Car Masters. If anyone is not doing anything on the Fathers Day weekend, it is an AWESOME event to go to. All the old touring cars & drivers go to it.

Colin.

colt
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

Here are a couple of pics of Cols, this is the car at it's 1st show back in May this year

and here is the all important motor prior to install

NICE

Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »

Here's mine.

It's the ex Grice Harrington Wigston STP Roadways VH from 82-83.

It was nicknamed "Elvis" when it was racing as it had as many hits as Elvis.

Here it is on the grid at Amaroo for the Silastic 300 in 1983.

I bought it with a restored body and older mechanicals, and then decided to strip the mechanicals out completely and rebuild.

Hope to see some of you at the Muscle Car Masters.

Sounds like a good excuse for an official FE-FC run.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »

Motor & gearbox are now installed, all done apart from the oil catch can and bonnet painting. We had the car running properly yesterday, carbies tuned (static) and timing done. Will be going to Wakefield Park when finished to setup and basically run in.

Yuo'll see that the engine is painted Ford Blue, it's a colour co-ordination thing. There are 2 ford bits and 1 grey bit on the engine.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: