FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 04, 2024, 06:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine bay paint lines  (Read 3332 times)
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2008, 05:10:06 PM »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me where the engine bay paint lines finish on a 3rd series FC. The car that I have is a second series FC that has the same colour engine bay as the rest of the car. I wish to paint the car in the colours of the third series, that is with the black engine bay. Can anyone tell me where to mask off, ie I would think that the top of the engine bay paint finishes where the cowl joins but where does it stop underneath? How far does it extend towards the doors? Does the outside of the subframe, match the rest of the body colour? What is the correct paint for underneath. Were the under bodies painted black, or the same colour as the outside of the car. I realise that the restoration won't be perfect as in the original colours and paint scheme, but I do wish to have it as close to perfect as I possible can.

I also understand that the gloss level of the engine bay is about 70%. Is there a special mix for this? Or a special colour?

Thanks in advance

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »

I need to look at a few more photos, but some cars have the black finishing at the cowl join, whilst others are black up to underneath the bonnet lacing rubber.
The paint goes right through under the body and covers everything underneath. It is called chassis black, which is a semi gloss finish.
The entire subframe is finished in the same paint.

Ken
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

Keith

Here is a couple of photos of my original late 59 I am restoring.  I hope this answers your question.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »

Hi Keith,

Thankyou for posting the photo's of your car on the forum. I am able to see where the painting the engine bay starts, across the top of the cowl at the seam and as Ken has previously said, that the chassis black extends all the way underneath. Would you mind posting a picture of the front A pillar so that I can see where the paint lines finish in the door area.Thanks in advance

Regards
Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »

Hi Keith

I trust this is the area you wish to see.  The black finishes below the fold  at the inner part of the guard.  At present the dirt line is shown but this is body colour.  In the case of my car there is quite a lot of body over spray in the wheel arch area.  I am not going to duplicate this but will leave the factory markings there.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46:13 PM »

Hi all.I have just got all my front end and sub frame components back from the sand blaster and need a few questions answered.The car is a late 59 FC and is a genuine all black 4-846 sedan.Does anyone know if the firewall is likely to have been painted Gloss black like the rest of the car or a satin or semigloss colour like most engine bays.What about the front subframe,Gloss or satin/semigloss.I think it will look nicer if it is all gloss black as is will match a lot better but curious about the originality aspect.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »

Unfortunately it is semigloss - not gloss

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)