FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 06:13:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best grey  (Read 2656 times)
jasonr70002

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »

Hey all I am new to grey engines which type/size etc is the best or are they all the same.
cheers Jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »

In regards to the grey, the early type had two welch plugs, the later type had three. All grey motors to the end of FC had a 3.00" bore. From FB on they had a 3.062. If you are going to bore them out I would use an EJ block as by then GMH had the castings pretty good and there wasn't much core shift allowing them to be bored to 3.250. I wouldn't bore them that much now, unless you intended on resleeving the bore

If you are looking for originality and have and an FE or FC then you would need an engine block with with and "L" prefix. If you were able to supply a Chassis number then either Ken or one of the other number collectors would be able to give you an idea of what your engine number should be if you wanted to try and find an engine number that is close to the production of the car.

I hope that this has helped.

Regards

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Perce1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »

Just an add on here Jason & Keith. I am restoring a 59 FC holden that has obviously had an engine tranplant at some stage. Engine no is; CB165233 if any of the number collectors out there can shed any light on what this motor was out of it would be appreciated. It is currently painted red, but is deff a 138 as it is embossed on the side of the block.

Cheers Perce
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »

Perce,

What you've got there is a 2250, or 138 red motor, as fitted to an LC or LJ Torana. That explains the colour Undecided
CB engine prefix is the high-compression version. There was also a low-comp variant, its prefix is CC.

Grey motors have the GMH circular logo embossed in the side of the block, not their size. There are other differences as well, such as a single pushrod sideplate (reds have two sideplates), location of the distributor, 4 engine mounts (greys have 3) and many more.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Perce1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

Probably not the ideal answer I was looking for ret, but will possibly use the motor until such time that I can get hold of a proper grey motor & do a rebuild.
Great forum here guys & apreciate all the positve help etc

Cheers Perce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: