FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 09, 2024, 10:10:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Panel Preperation  (Read 2017 times)
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« on: April 09, 2009, 09:05:02 AM »

Hi All.
      Just after some advise.  On my FC project I have got the hood and front guards back to bare metal to reveal not to many hidden nasties from 50 years of use.  I am not in a position to get the rust repaired on them yet so what can I do to stop surface rust developing on them until such a time I am ready to cut the rust. Obvious solution is fish oil but how does this effect the me down the track when it comes to the repair work. Does this create problems down the tarck.  Also the other solution would be a light coat of primer.  Not having done this before what other suggestions do people have or have experienced.  Thanks in advance.

Jase

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/

Guess What ..... I Have A Fever ..... And The Only Perscription ..... Is More Cow Bell

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »

Nice project Jase.I stripped a few of my panels with strip discs then used deoxidine then grey primer.I'm glad I did because I didn't anticipate taking so long to get back to them and this has protected them for that time.BTW,nice pictures of the wrecks you have on the old holden site... Especially the ones I took... Huh

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »

deoxidine is the go.bare metal will start rusting straight away if there is any moisture in the air.
primer is porous so it can still rust through the paint

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: