FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 09, 2024, 08:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Rescue ute  (Read 2997 times)
Barnfind

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:56:05 PM »

Hi all,

I am dragging a barn find FE ute out of a shed this Friday.  It was parked there 26  years ago.  It is an easy drag out with the 4wd and get it on the tandem car trailer.  My question is...the tryres are completely stuffed and I thought to make the job easier I would just fit four old holden rims with inflated tyres on them, so i have found some 14'' and the stud pattern looks the same.  These rims look like 'interceptors" off a commodore and have a largish bag tyres.  The car will only have to go about 30 metres being dragged by a landcruiser (lots easier if it rolls) so I just need to know can I get these onto the ute and will they spin enough to do the job?Huh? Once home I will get a set of tyres on the original wheels.

The car is very straight with little rust.  The paint is faded through showing surface rust streaks, all there and not molested as well.  There is about 4 inches of rat poo on the floor and I have not pulled the bonnet yet but I believe the rat nest is in on the engine.  Will post some pics next week.

PS I don't have a key. Any easy way to get one cut that fits???

Ta
Clinton

Clinton
brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

Clinton,
If the wheels you have are commodore then they will not fit. Th FC has a smaller circumference for the wheel bolts. Imagine drawing a 4" circle and having 5 holes around this line for the wheel bolts. The commodore would be a 5" diameter. As you see these wont fit. (these measurements are for example only). I believe all early holdens have the same bolt pattern and also the 14" Ht/G/K. Toranas also are the correct pattern.
If you open the door look on the side where the lock is situated. There should be a flat clip that you can pull straight out and the lock will fall outwards. Sometimes the outer lock body has a four digit number which is the key code.It may also be on the sides of the "U" bracket. You may need to clean the outer body and bracket properly to see this number. Supply this number to a locksmith and they should be able to cut you a key. If not either send me the number or the lock and i will make you one. Good luck with the rats.
Regards Brett
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

If the tyres are stuffed and it is only a short haul over soft ground, then you will probably get away with using what is there without harming the rims.  You need to consider what happens at the delivery end as well of course.

Take lots of photos and keep us up to date.  A good barn find story goes down really well.

Cheers
David

Barnfind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »

Thanks for this info.  I have done a reccie round my dads and my property and come up with 4 x 13'' rims with tyres.  They are all old retread crossplys but look to hold air so they will do the job. The rims have the five stud pattern with breathing gaps in the dish's outer lip, if you know what I mean.  So do you reckon the 13'' s  will do the trick?

Thanks again
Clinton

Clinton
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »

If they're 13" Holden rims wearing rag tyres they'll be the right stud pattern. Grin

Best of luck with it, sounds like a great find.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »

It may not roll after sitting so long the brakes are usually locked by either rust or corroded wheel cylinders  Huh Good luck with the recovery .....SOON THE UTES WILL OUT NUMBER THE OTHER BODY STYLES  Shocked Shocked........FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: