FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: clarification, engine and suspension choices  (Read 5161 times)
gwuthie

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:16:48 PM »

Hello all.
For my fc sedan,  Looking for been there done that pros to comment.

My priorities are, doing "all" of it myself and keeping the spend minimal...

My engine possibilities are L67-s/cV6, 5.0LtV8, LS1, or even Rb30det.
I would like to keep the trans tunnel as small as poss with a column auto shift so don't know the best option?

I've got my HR front end and plan on HQ stubs, discs, callipers, with torana steering rack.
Is it completely out of the question to be able to modify the rack myself???

Looking at using a comm diff with the 'two short axle/tube mod' and would like to use airbags all round.
Not sure how to mount it? Would like to get rid of the leaf springs.

Would anyone like to tell me what traps I've missed in these points.

Oh. And some tips on setting up a hidden brake m/cyl would be great.

Any help appreciated. I've been reading the posts and this site is a great help, good work guys. Thanks

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:45:15 PM »

Nothing is impossible.  I would assume you would need to be a competent welder in both sheet and plate steel, good working knowledge of the engine trans system you choose and pretty good with injection and electronics if you choose a late model engine.  Skills in fitting and turning would be handy as well as having an investigative mind finding ways to make things work.
I assume you want the trans tunnel as small as possible so it looks stock on the inside?
My personal opinion is that you can make things pretty hard for yourself with a small tunnel for something hardly anyone will notice when the car is finished. Do yourself a favour and be a bit generous with the tunnel and you will be glad you did later.

Ken
gwuthie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »

Ken.

Yeah, I am guessing I will probably give in to the tunnel thing. It would be for stock appearance (staying bench seat and all. and not fond of 3pc carpets)
I reckon i've got the brains to work most of it out but just haven't done it before to these things so am looking to benefit from previous experience.

I really would prefer p/steer so will have to research that a lot more... an old thread mentioned volvo rack.... and someone else mentioned L300 front end?Huh?

cheers
Gwuthie

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

If you use a CRS Tunnel you can get an EK Auto molded carpet to fit and you can still have the bench seat too. If you want to mess around you could investigate tunnels from other cars that would still allow for a molded carpet, but IMHO you're better off with the CRS jobbie.

If you are going for R&P Steering and want a column shift auto then a Torana column should work, a nice simple column without all the plastic and extra controls on a Jap column.
Rod's Racks has a good rep for R&P conversions, best to speak to them about PS.

Airbags  Undecided I'd be checking with rego before going any further, I know in SA they are frowned upon.

Instead of the Commo diff have you looked into Volvo gear? A diff out of a Volvo 240 is about the right width (a little shorter from memory) and is a Dana 30 (really thick axles), disc brakes and Old Holden stud pattern. The only mod needed would be to weld new mounts to it and they are dirt cheap.
Generally you get low gears eg 3.73 and 4WD Systems (SA) make a relatively cheap locker for them.

Getting rid of the rear leaf springs is really getting into the "Pro" territory now, no doubt engineers will need to be involved. There's a bloke building a SBC, tubbed and 4 link rear EK Sedan on the FB/EK forum, lots of pics and definitely worth a look. Places like McDonald Bros advertise rear clips for 4 links, but I think you'd have a tough time registering the car.

gwuthie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »

Stinky,

Thanks mate,
Yeah I was thinking the leaves might end up staying cos what i'm buillding is only something that drives REALLY well with good go. Will just have to set them up right.
I did read a bit about the volvo diff, but i just assumed they were difficult to get a hold of,.. maybe not.

Torana column!, thanks for that one, will look into that.

Gwuthie.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »

What state are you in GWuthie? Not all states are as draconian as SA.  Check out the thread "Injected V8 FC again"  Rear 4 bars are not that hard to do and will certainly improve the rear stability of the car. Air bags are also no problems in Vic with the appropriate engineering. If you want a car that drives REALLY well, I wouldn't even consider keeping the rear springs, especially with air bags.

Ken
gwuthie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »

Ken,
I'm in WA and to my knowledge they are about as draconian as SA. But as you said earlier, anything is possible. Will check it out.
On the hidden brake m/cyl issue, any hot tips??

cheers
Gwuthie
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »

Sure, use Tarago van setup - there is one available which has a 1 inch bore which works fine.  Did one on a HQ when I was at Hoppers Stoppers.  You need to weld in brackets to the dash frame and inside firewall, but once finished there is nothing on the engine bay side of the firewall.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »

I made the one for my Hot Rod using a 5 series BMW pedal [very well engineered with rose joint pivot ]and the master cylinder goes under the dash and all is hidden and there was a lot less room  in the T model than the FC ....there are some being made for Rod and also XY XW Git's that mount the booster and master cylinder horizontally under the dash but they would need to be modified to suit the FC so my way of thinking is make your own .....I can send you a picture of mine from the T model is you like just send me a pm  ..........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
gwuthie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »

Hey guys.
thanks for the suggestions.
...FC427...,  any pics help... but whats pm Huh
mybee i'm a bit slow Roll Eyes

checked out the 'injected FC again'... nice stuff. orrsome originality. love it.
thanks again
gwuthie
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »

pm is a personal message, go to my messages at the top of the page and you can send a private message to anyone on the site, some of us use them to chat with each other so we don't get in trouble with moderators Wink, others use them for buying and selling stuff, very handy really.
            Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: