FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:14:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Drop spindles..  (Read 2542 times)
FE350

Old holdens never die they just get faster!!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »

Hello all, i just purchased a pair of stubtechs 2 inch drop spindles (suit commo brakes on HR front) and want to know what would be the best disc brake and caliper combination to use? i have been told VT commo calipers with VS rotors, has anyone done this?  and i will be running VS master and booster.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »

I have seen show cars with this set up and believe me - not running is the best place for these cars. 
As a designer of modified car brake systems for over 8 years at Hoppers Stoppers I am well qualified to tell you why;
The minimum thickness for a VT rotor is 29 mm. The starting thickness for a brand new VS rotor is 28 mm.
So using a VT caliper on a VS rotor is the same as running a VT rotor 1mm undersize.
So effectively what happens when the pads wear down, the pistons either fall out of the caliper or skew and jam the brakes on solid.
Your best option is a matched set of VS rotors and calipers or go for a professionally designed kit which will work properly.  I'm not a big fan of VT calipers anyway because of their fast fill system which leaves them with a spongy feel unless you use the VT booster with them.

Ken
FE350

Old holdens never die they just get faster!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »

Thanks Ken thats geat info cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: