FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 06:46:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Proof Kote  (Read 2525 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »

Any tips guys on how to remove proof Kote?
Cheers,
Graham
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »

Hi Graham where are you removing Proof Coat from Huh if it is on the inside of the floor I have found that a piece of foam floor pan size wet down with kero or wax and grease remover [fumes won't be to bad]  placed on the floor for a few hours will soften it so that it can be scraped of easily and then just wash with general purpose thinners to remove the last traces, but it is one of those shitty jobs and eats up a bit of time .......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:32:23 AM »

Hey Graham
Yeh, as Mark said, where are you trying to remove it from?
If it is old, it is usually brittle and will scrape off.
You can also apply heat to the other side of the panel to make it go off and scrape off. Be careful with the heatgun though, not too long in 1 place.
Regards
Alex

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »

Proof Kote is usually an underbody spray on application, when I removed it I found that it came off easiest where it was wet from oil & grease, around the end of the gearbox, uni joints, etc.

If you can wet or spray it with kero as Mark suggested & let it soak in, maybe spray it a few times, it should soften up.

Heat gun method should prove effective also, but if you are working under the car beware of hot bits dropping off.

What are you up to Graham  Huh have you got another project.

Cheers, Gary
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »

Graham

I've recently removed some bitumen type material from the floor inside my FE. I think this was proof kote? I have a compressor so I hooked up the needle gun and it worked really well. I was careful not to stay in one place too long nor to press too hard. I found holding it at a 45 degree angle helped get underneath the stuff. I then cleaned off any remaining traces with a kero soaked rag. It's probably not much faster than the above suggestions but I found it easier than using the scraper. Ear muffs are a good idea too.

Cheers......Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »

Thanks Guys. The coating is on the underside of 1 of the guards(which i have taken off) from my project FE. I thought the blasting people would remove it but they won't. Thanks for your replys i will give it a go.
Cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: