FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 10, 2024, 12:24:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: brake lines  (Read 2222 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:18:17 PM »

may be a silly question but do i use the same small line i used under the car when making the line from the booster to the master cylinder and the distribution block or should it be a bigger line, i have single circuit hr brakes with disc front and a vh 40 booster, previously i had a bigger diametre pipe from the booster to the master cylinder and the small line under the car.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08:37 AM »

Thats the way it is usually done larger line from master cylinder to booster and on to the junction and then the 3/16 line after that FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »

It doesn't make any difference what size lines you use. As FC427 says, the larger lines are usually used up the top because that is what is original.
The FE and FC originally used 1/4 lines through the whole car, but when the FB was released, the line size was revised to 3/16
So when a HR front end is fitted, you have to adapt the lines to suit the new components. The easiest way to do this is with adapters from the original lines to suit the hose fittings. Another easy way is to use the lines from an FB/EK because this is a bolt in job and no lines have to be made.
Anyway getting back to the point, If you are repiping the car totally, then you could use 3/16 lines from the master cylinder as it is piston area which changes brake load, not volume or pipe size. Check out any modern car and you will see 3/16 line used everywhere.

Hope this is of assistance
Ken
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »

thanks, i have some 3/16 line here, i thought that may have been the reason i had bigger lines up top, i dont remember changing the top ones when i first fitted the HR front end, if rain clears by friday night ill bend em up and take em down to B&R to get the ends fitted, last weekend i made the brackets for the booster so i now know were everything has to reach too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: