FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HEAD IDENTIFICATION  (Read 3415 times)
katesmith007

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:11:38 AM »

Hi, is there anyone out there that can help me with identifying different grey motor heads.  I was told that there were several different heads, the FX to early FJ, the late FJ to FC, the FB to EK, and the EJ heads.  If anyone knows how to identify each or any of these heads please let me know.  Have they got different casting numbers/letters?  If so, what are they?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »

OK, heads can be dated right down to the day they were made using the codes cast into the head. Right next to the temp sender at the back of the head their is a number - this is the year of the casting but there are 2 types of head, the early one with just one temp sender hole at the rear of the head and a later one with another hole at the front of the head for the heater hose to be attached.

So, my thoughts are that the numbers go as follows; starting from 8 (1948) up to 7 (1957) with only the rear temp sender hole then from 8 (1958) up to 3 (1963) with 2 threaded holes in the head. The numbers just before the year number is the month and day codes. Like to hear any othe rinfo from other forum users

Regards Ken
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:34:32 AM by ret » Logged
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:09:52 AM »

I don't know why there are smiley faces in place of my eights - somehow I did it I'm sure but I don't know how.
I did this smily face on purpose Tongue

Regards  Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »

Smileys removed.  The code for that smiley is 8), just as the other smileys appear as :) :D etc.

If they appear in the preview and you don't want them, that's what the
   Disable Smilies:   [] Check this if you'll be adding code (or don't like smileys)
optional check-box is for. (Obviously I needed to check it to make this post appear the way I wanted.)

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
katesmith007

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

Thanks Ken, but I don't quite understand.  I have three blocks and three heads.  Can you decipher this for me please?

The first is a J Block (I believe an EJ block) with a single outlet head on it.  The numbers on the head are slightly damaged but this one appears to be D169 - number is situated near the rocker cover, and rear of the rear water outlet.  Also, it might be noted that there is no large boss up front where a front water outlet could be drilled and tapped.

The second is an L Block (I believe FE-FC) with a single outlet head on it but this one has a large front boss the same size as the water outlet boss at the rear however there is no water outlet in the front boss.  (The front boss looks like you could drill and tap it if desired).   Again the numbers are gouged a bit but appear to read H109.

The third is an L Block (I believe FE-FC) with a dual water outlet head on it.  Both bosses are the same large size as in the 2nd head but with this head they are both drilled and tapped as water outlets.  The number on this head appears to be C162.

So what letter/number do you think represents the year, the month, the day?  Can you tell me what model each of these heads are please?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:10:30 AM »

After the codes you have described there is a bigger number right behind the temperature sender - what is this number on each of the heads you have?

Ken
katesmith007

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 02:30:50 AM »

Hi Ken,
      There is no bigger number AFTER the H109 etc...  These numbers I have given are the rear-most numbers and are situated on top of the head, next to the side of the rocker cover, at the rear passenger side of the head, just REARWARD of the rear water outlet boss.  The H109, D169 & C162 numbers are the closest numbers to the rear water outlet boss.

There is however a bigger number BEFORE the H109.  It is '7412611'.  It is also located on the top, rear, passenger side of the head, near the side of the rocker cover, but is FORWARD of the rear water outlet boss.

This longer number (7412611) is the same on each of the heads and so I don't think this number has any significance in relation to dating the head or identifying which model it came from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: