FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 10, 2024, 10:58:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cam for norman suprcharger  (Read 6937 times)
srevoice

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2005, 09:19:52 AM »

I was wondering where would be the best place to send my cam to be professionally worked. I am putting it into a grey with a Norman, I have the book about the supercharger, so I hope the right details can be found in it. But I don't know where to send it to be done. My mechanic wants me to get it right so the motor runs smooth.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Andy
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:30:37 AM »

hi Andy.

wow :O norman...

clive cams in vic  will do a cam, just tell him that you want the cam ground to suit a blower, he will do it no problems, i cant find his number, but if you want i can get it?? (unless your in victoria and you can simply ring 12455 and ask...)

regards
darcy

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:08:09 PM »

Thanks Darcy, I am in Tassie so if you could get the number that would be great.

Thanking you, Andy
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 10:38:27 PM »

hi . clive cams number is: 03 9758 5977

regards
Darcy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:39:03 PM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 11:51:01 PM »

Hi guys.
Andy, I have the cam specs here....remember? You need to send a cam to Waggott engineering & I also have the contact of the guy who will machine it. Jamie Norman.
Don't give the motor to any old machanic. It has to be strong, or that Norman will pop it.

Darcy, his Norman is a Type 70 Watercooled job. VERY rare & in near perfect condition. It was only ever run on a car for a few hours. No more than that. It is my old one & I am still shitty at selling it. Thesse things happen though.

Give me a caall, Butthead (Andy's middle name) & I will give you the details.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:13:44 AM »

:O:O:O

shame, shame, shame  Roll Eyes

gotta love the old normans Grin, andy, can you do us all a favor and take some pics for us
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:28:51 AM by torquefc » Logged

srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 02:30:17 AM »

Hey Rob remember I am a shift worker, my brain is nearly always fried. But thanks torque, I sometimes forget to ask Rob these questions first. I will get some photos of it and post on here.

Thanking you, Andy
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »

Don't believe him, anyone.  Angry Angry
First he makes bold claims about having a Norman Supercharger, which some may believe & is quite possible.
But then, He takes it to an entirely new level of make believe & claims he has a BRAIN! C'mon Andy, you just go too far Grin Grin Wink Wink

Drop into work, Dude. If you help me put all the Friday night rolls through, I will give you the required info Tongue

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 01:39:09 AM »

I have to work for the info Huh, geez what an asshole. But if that is the case I will be in to help the poor baby.

Andy
186RED

twin turbo 186 in the build.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 06:26:49 AM »

hi newby here.

in my experience with superchargers - you run as wild as you want. overlap isnt an issue.

if you can run it on an NA engine, you can run it on a supercharged engine.

of all the things i've lost - i miss my mind the most.

-Ozzy Osborne
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 11:06:24 AM »

you might be able to run some overlap but you would get better power out of a stock cam with the supercharger than a wild one.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 11:55:17 AM »

Overlap can be a major issue in a blown motor. Too much and you loose boost pressure thru the exhaust valves which is a waste.

Andy, a stock cam will give amazing results using a low boost of say 6 PSI.The power range will be the same as the stock engine but you'll have heaps more horsepower. It'll be nice to drive, but really hammer when you floor it...
There's cam spec's  for blown engines in Eldred's book, or as Rob said, contact Jamie.
Any q's??, just ask..
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
186RED

twin turbo 186 in the build.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 12:46:52 AM »

it al depends on how big your charger is.

that norman looks like a fairly decent size for a red, so i would say you could run up to something like a 72/74 degree cam (288/296 duration) and have a lumpy idle with all the grunt coming in the lower midrange to redline. and what grunt it will be!!!!  Grin

for example an XU1 grind would be a very mild cam on a blown 202.

kinda defeats the purpose of a supercharger (the whole "boost from idle" thing) but if you're chasing max power rather than good overall average power then it's all very possible.

and wasting pressure is just wasting pressure - it's not detrimental to a blower like it is to a turbo which overspeeds and overboosts.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 12:48:28 AM by 186RED » Logged

of all the things i've lost - i miss my mind the most.

-Ozzy Osborne
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 06:09:27 AM »

Thanks for all the info, I will be soon sending the cam off for the grind. I have the Eldred book but its a bit over my head ( and thats not hard ) so I will be sending it to Jamie.

Also 186RED the supercharger is for a 138 grey motor and there is a photo of it in real cars (Andrews cool collection )

Thanking you all, Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: