FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 11:34:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HD versus HR front end???  (Read 3032 times)
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2005, 03:26:54 AM »

I was wanting some info on the differences between HD Drum and HR Disc brake front ends, I have a HD front end and want to cahnge is to fit early holden,
I was told the cross member itself is the same for the two models, but was wondering if everything else is ... Suspension arms etc, That way I could source some HR disc spindles and voila??
I also have the steering for the HD is it the same as the HR or should I scrap it all and start again???
Matt
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 05:11:45 AM »

;)Goodaye matt,some good news for you HD andHR frontends are exactly the same,including wishbones,balljoints,springs etc etc,to  run discs you will need some hr disc brake spindles etc,and depending on what your putting them on you will have to change the rear wheel cylinders as well to hr disc rear cylinders so you get the right proportioning,otherwise the rear brakes will lock on and send you into a skid!!!!HD and HR steering is the same also...hope that helps you out!! ;)jamie
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 05:13:52 AM by fe_hotrod » Logged
earlyholdenfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 06:07:22 AM »

Thanks Jamie,
That is exactly what I wanted to hear! Grin
now all I have to do is chase up spindles and a rear end with the right sized wheel cylinders!
Thanks again
Matt
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 08:43:55 AM »

;)matt if you give hoppers stoppers in werribee a ring they will be able to supply you with the correct cylinders for your application,and they are a friendly bunch of blokes aswell,that way if your running a HD rear end all you need is the disc brake rear wheel cylinders...they will advise you on what you will need to do!!!jamie Wink
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 11:43:25 AM »

Matt
You need to make sure that you have a late model HD front end (1966) not early as the early front ends didn't have ball joints but were the same setup as early Holdens.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
earlyholdenfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 05:53:30 PM »

Thanks Jock,
I was unnaware of the little abnormality! it definately has ball joints (thought I had better check after your post!)
Matt
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 07:15:47 AM »

;)jockster,s right the very early ones did come out with left over EH king pin frontends as they had plenty of em leftover,although ive owned a couple of HD,s and never seen one,so id say they would be fairly rare!!jamie Wink
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:40:19 AM »

Hi Guys.

The kingpin type front end was fitted to all HDs from start of production to the end of June '65.

From July onwards they were all ball-joint, irrespective of whether they had drum or disc brakes.

Dr Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: