FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 11:54:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Camshaft swap  (Read 9541 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »

Hi,

I presently have an unused cam (from an unstarted donor motor) that I have been intending to have put into my low milage stocko 179.

I was told by the seller it was a "30/70" cam, advanced 2 degrees (I assume that means its asymetircally timed?)

The spec sheet reads as: SAE (.006" Cam Lift) Cam Timing

Duration  Opens   Closes   Overlap
Inlet:        281           32         69          61
Exhaust:    281           72         29

It is a powerboss - part no. CS-1277

Can anyone decode these specs and verify the Cam?

From what I have picked up from using the forum, I now believe this cam may be a little lumpy for a daily driver.

I'm running a 2.7 diff.  I'm considering swapping the cam for something a little milder.

I'm after any opinion on:

1)what cam to use

2) whether it can be installed by removing the front grill rather than pulling out the engine - in order to save some dollars in workshop time...dialing in a cam is somehting I doubt I will ever try.

Looking forward to your thoughts
Dave Huh
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 11:19:22 AM by Dave_EH » Logged
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:35:07 AM »

30/70 should go fine with a 2:78 and 13" wheels

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
HARKO
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:35:28 AM »

Dave ,A mate had a 35/75 in a 3 speed HR and it was a pig to drive.
Also a mate runs a 30/70 with a celica 5 speed in an EH and its noticeable that its lumpy and has a noticeable power increase in its rev range when the cam starts to work.Id say its a bit lumpy to run an auto  transmission behind .
If you do decide on a swap Ive got a very mild cam in a 3000 klm 186/192 that id be willing to trade but will need a week or so to pull it out of the engine.
I will have a look for the spec sheets on the engine to find out its grind.
I guess yours being 32/72 it will just slightly lumpier than the 30/70
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 11:38:19 AM by HARKO » Logged
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »

Hey Harko,

I'm just running a 3 speed crash on the column.

I'be heard a 30/70 doesn't really start to pull till about 3000-3500 rpm which may be a little too high for an unbalanced red backed to a crash box.

so mine IS a 32/72? Being advanced would make it even more lumpy?

I'm in no real hurry - I would have to take my engine to a mechanic to have the cam pulled out for you as I have never done it before, so let me know how you're going when you find out the grind.

I've never driven an old holden - not even my own yet - so am trying to get the thing right from word go.

I'm really just after a nice sounding idle throb and something that has a little top end and a good mide range and take off.

Any ideas on installing the cam with the engine in the bay?

Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 11:51:36 AM by Dave_EH » Logged
HARKO
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 12:38:10 PM »

Sorry Dave Ive never actually changed one in the engine bay ,Can anyone else help out here ,I would think that the grille is a pain to remove/install if need be.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 06:11:30 AM »

You can change the cam with engine in place on FE/C with grey motor. Remove grille, radiator. Lift front of motor slightly to clear subframe front rail.
Colin

colt
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 09:16:08 AM »

Yep sure can change it in the car, but you also will need to undo the gaurd bolts to get the grille out without chipping the paint.
Having done it I certainly would not do it again as I was advised in the first place. I did it in the car as I did not have an engine crane.
I have since bought a crane and grey motor lifting frame. It made the job much easier when I had to rebuild the old grey. With the proper frame the grey comes out so so easy, about an hour or two and its on the deck.

ChrisB   Cool
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 01:09:46 PM »

Dave
          I always use a 25/65 grind cam with the 3.08 diff in the red motors or a 3.36 diff ratio behind the grey motors. If you use the 2.78 diff with the 3 speed it will be a lot harder to take off which will put a lot more strain on clutch and drivtrain. You can change the cam with motor in the car I,ve done lots of them. Do what Colin said .

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 08:48:10 AM »

Appreciate the the help... all taken onboard!  Harko, I may contact you abou that cam, or let me know when you find the spec sheet.

Regards
Dave
HARKO
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 01:06:53 PM »

Hey Dave the cam I have is a lumpy aswell aparently so Id say give it a miss .

Anyone else keen to help please do !
CHO 576

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

I've got a similar problem/issue.

A mate did my grey motor up a few years ago now (free of charge).

However, he dropped a new cam in that is just a little bit lumpy. It has a nice little throb when idling, and very good performance up high (not sure of the exact specs of the cam though). Taking off from a standing start though is a bit of a hassle - I have to give the car a bit of petrol before it will even move (definately not a nice smooth takeoff)

Unfortunately, I have brougt the car back to be stock all round - so would really like to get the Original cam back in.

Is there anywhere I can $$$ buy a (new) 'original specification' grey motor cam?

thanks ...
J
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »

Thanks Harko,

I went down to my local engineering shop where they do camshaft grinds and headwork and had a chat.

They are happy to swap my unused cam for another milder one and said that a 32/72 is "drivable", but with a 3 speed it would be fairly ordinary except for putting your put down in 2nd or 3rd gear.

As i get further into the project I'm beginning to think less about pulling wheel stands and more about a nice cruiser Grin

I really just want something with a nice idle throb and some get up and go through the midrange.

Cheers
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: