FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 02:41:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Red motor fans  (Read 6976 times)
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2004, 08:45:39 PM »

Hi All

I just wanted your advice about 6 cyl red/blue/black motor fans, specifically, I am after as much clearance for the radiator as possible, are they all offset the same or is there a fan that sits closer to the motor than others?  If so, how do identify the correct fan.

Cheers

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 10:14:10 PM »

GDAY CHUCK . WHAT TYPE OF VEHICLE ARE YOU INSTALING THIS FAN TO. IF YOU WANT THE MOST CLEARANCE  AND NOT WORRIED ABOUT MODIFICATION WHY NOT PUT IN A COUPLE OF THERMO FANS. IF YOU LEAVE THE FAN OF THE MOTOR WILL HAVE MORE HORSEPOWER TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
                                  BRAD

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 10:38:38 PM »

I'm sure Red and Grey fans bolt up the same, and there are definitely variations in the pitch of the blades.  I thought this topic had been covered before, but I couldn't find it if it has.  I have an idea the EJ one was the flattest pitch, but I wouldn't like to go out on a limb for that - my memory is not what it once was Roll Eyes

Where's Dr Terry when you need him? Wink

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:26:00 PM »

Hi Chuck,
I assume your asking this question because you want to retain a engine driven fan. Smiley
An EH fan bolts straight onto the waterpump pulley (no spacer), but this may not be suitable.
Engine size may determine what fan you need.
You will need a fan with a bit of blade pitch to keep the engine cool between idle-1500rpm.
I used a plastic 8 blade fan off a jap car on a red motored FC i used to own.It sat back over the waterpump pulley.
Hope this helps Wink
Regards ACE Cool
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 01:01:05 AM »

HQ onwards have different middle hole size and  bolt patern is wider  also ,you will need the earlier water pumps from HT down to EH

mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 07:32:49 AM »

Guys

For a complete dressing down on this subject go to streetneat.com

What he does is takes an EH radiator gets it re-cored backwards and recesses it into the front wall of the engine bay.  It looks magic and allows an engine driven fan to operate perfectly with plenty of clearance.

MICKUS

Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 08:45:35 AM »

Chuck,

It's in an album called Streetneat's secrets revealed, or something like that. He uses a plastic fan from an HT.

Don't know if the mod will work in an EK....sorry...FB ute?

Regards

Edward
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 09:42:56 AM »

He also does some major re arranging of the radiator support panel to make it all fit not just a bolt in job.
Andrew explain all in his 'shed', on oldholden.com
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 12:31:56 AM »

Hi guys

I need to add a lattle more information.  The motor is a VK EFI black 202 in an EK ute with Torana radiator.  I want to fit a mechanical fan for simplicitys sake but will fit a thermo(s) if need be.  I do not plan on moving the radiator forward from its current location.  The motor is fitted with the shorter of the two Holden red/blue/black waterpumps available.  This gives me about 17mm clearance between the heads of the pulley bolts and the radiator core.  What I need is a fan that will maintain the maximum radiator clearance in the event of engine movement.

Cheers - Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 01:45:54 AM »

Hi Chuck,
Have recently needed to change fans on my FB due to the stock fan biting a section from the radiator when I stopped a bit too quickly. Solved the space problem by fitting a flexi fan. They're completly flat at the front and the water pump shaft sticks out further than the blades do.
I know I know, the stories about them letting go blades and all that tend to do the rounds, but I've fitted 3 to previous cars & never had problems. I've never actually seen or know anyone that has had a that problem either. I have seen what happens when a stock fan loses a blade tho'.
The felxi fans are a bigger diameter than the stock fans so draw more air as a bonus. I fitted one to the wagon many moons ago so John P. (Red Devil) might offer some advice on its performance.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 03:49:39 AM »

Hi Leigh

Thanks very much for the info, I have no problems fitting a flex fan as, like you, I have never actually met anyone that has had one let go.  Off the top of your head, do you know what particular style/brand/diameter fan suits?  Hurry, hurry, hurry - there is a one on e-bay (V8 425mm) ending in a few hours  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chuck

FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 10:07:06 AM »

Hi Chuck,
Sorry 'bout the delay, I'm usually only on-line at work but jumped on tonight to check out the Trading Post for some building stuff. There is also another type flex fan that won't save you any space as the blades are curved and mounted on an angled centre plate.
Anyway, I'm not sure of the size offhand but will measure the FB one tomorrow & let you know. The one I got for the wagon a few years ago I bought from a place here in Melbourne - East Coast Auto Spares. It's a brand name that  I can't quite remember at the moment but they are still available in 3 sizes S M L. Cost about $70. I'd say a store like Bursons or Autobarn would be able to get them in.
Let me know if you have trouble sourcing one as I can drive by ECAS on my way to work and get the brand etc. for you.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 10:27:28 PM »

Hi Guys.

Sorry, I missed this thread earlier.

You've already done the right thing by fitting the short Holden 6 pump.

I haven't had a lot of luck with flexi fans, I dont think they are a success.

You will find the earlier model EH to HR fans are the most compact. It was these cars where fan space was a problem it the factory. The later fans (HQ etc) have a curved-out outer edge which takes up space.

You will have to watch the bolt pattern problem. All Holden fans have the same centre shaft diameter. The change in the bolt pattern PCD (pitch circle diameter) occurred in 1969. That is, EH to HK have the smaller pattern & HT to VK use the larger pattern, which is the same as 253/308. The longer (jumbo) pump was introduced in the early 80s (VC Commodore).

The reason I mention the bolt pattern so importantly, is that you fit an early fan, you will need the early EH to HK pump to suit. If you use an aftermarket plastic fan, many of these have the bolt pattern 'slotted'; so it will fit either pump.

Hope this helps.

Dr Terry.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 04:55:59 AM »

I had a flick through my 48-HR parts manual, and was amazed to see how many variations on fan balde assemblies there were.  Unfortunately the part number is no help to know which one is the narrowest.  Get this though:

1 fan for 48-FC
1 fan for FB-EJ
2 for EH (one regular, one for power steering)
4 for HD (regular, X2, p/steer, X2 + p/steer) and
6 for HR (regular, S, X2, p/steer, S + p/steer, X2 +p/steer)

Obvously the HD/HR ones are the same where appropriate.  Presumably the p/steering jobs are the skinniest, with the extra pulley needing to fit in there.  They wouldn't be easy to find tho!

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 08:39:51 PM »

Hi RET.

Yes the variations in HD/HR fans are amazing.

To my knowledge it goes like this.

The p/steer fans have a small cut-out on the rear outer edge to clear the pump pulley & the S/X2 fans have a slightly different pitch to standard.

I'm not sure the differences are all mechanical though, it could be the only difference between a X2 fan & an S fan is that one is painted gold & the other silver.

Anybody able to confirm any of this ??

Dr Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: