FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 17, 2024, 05:27:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: restoration timeframes  (Read 2922 times)
Carla

www.myrtle.cjb. net

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for some rough timeframe estimates (as in number of hours) of FC modifications of the following:
Change from a manual to an auto; Replacement of the engine: Installing disk brakes; installing air cond; and installing a stereo in the dash.
I know there's a heap of stuff here, but I need a rough idea so I can gather my cash.  I'm in Brisbane, so if anyone can recommend anyone to do this that would be great.
Cheers, Carla
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

I think a lot of people would agree that you may as well ask how long is a piece of string? Sorry, but all of these tasks could take a couple of hours to a couple of days. I fitted a stereo to my cruiser the other day, bolted the head unit under the dash, ran the speaker cables,  bolted the speakers to the rear shelve (factory 6x9 holes!), wired up the head unit and away I went. All up about 3 hours work, then again it took two 14 hour days to do my wife's Nissan Patrol, complicated car with a big system. All of the changes depend on what you are using, what motor, what air-con etc,etc. All I can suggest is gather your cash, get quotes and seek advice on the best people to do the job. The cheapest quotes aren't usually the best places to go to either, read magazines, ask questions, surf the net, you could well do some of the work yourself to save money.
Have Fun!

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Richard Thomas (Guest)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

Carla,
How long is a piece of string, indeed!  As a rough guide, the stereo is only a few hours work, as the dash and electricals of this model are so simple.  Fitting disc brakes is a few hours work for a mechanic, providing they have all the parts required at their fingertips - see the article at http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/tech002.html for more info on this conversion.
A new motor is probably a day's work for a competent mechanic, again assuming all the parts are at hand.  However, if you are talking about a different size engine (as I presume you must be based on your reference to a/con), then it is anybody's guess.  It might be a relatively simple upgrade to a red-motor (later Holden six), or a V8 conversion that would cost you thousands.  I don't know what you have in mind, and you would have to speak to an engineer in Queensland about what's legal before embarking on this anyway.  Ditto for the air-con.  If you're looking to fit a late-model V6 or something, then you may be able to get the a/con with the motor, so at least it's all complete and just needs to be shoe-horned under the bonnet.  But anything else and your talking about a serious labour of love for someone who wants to do this for the hell of it - read very expensive.
I hope that helps.  Make a start with a conversation with an automotive engineer before laying out any cash, and perhaps try the FE-FC Holden Car Club of Queensland for references on mechanics.  They can be reached at committee@qld.fefcholden.org.au, or on 07 3886 7361.
cheers Richard
dunny@standard.net.au
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

With regard to your conversions your question has been answered but as for the stereo seek advice and if possible mount the stereo in the glove compartment as a hole in the dash is like a hole in the head. But whatever you do have fun and enjoy a classic car!! Holden's Rule
chris stokes
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2001, 12:15:40 PM »

Hi Carla,

I certianly agree with these guys . You really need to know your stuff with these kinds of full scale mods , especially in older chassis types.

As an idea ,if you really want a car that looks like a FC but goes like a HR ute and want to stick to your budget search the market from Adelaide to Brisbane , buy some air tickets ( often refunded on sale) Hire a mechanic for a weekend and drive one home in less than a week.

Warning should be given , however as just because a car is registered in one state doesnt mean it will be renewed in the new state , either way you go become an expert in the modification laws and ALWAYS check what you are told . If its legal it will be written down somewere.

Good Luck  and Happy Cruising

Chris
fe_dude
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2001, 10:59:49 AM »

Hi Carla
A suggestion for your stereo prob. What I did with mine was to make a mounting frame to hold the stereo in behind the speaker grill. Then I made up some linkages (hinging arrangment) which allowed the speaker grill to be opened, but still kept the grill in the vertical position when down, so when it's down(open)  it doesn't get in the way. This way with the grill closed, the stereo was totally out of sight,easy to get to and you don't loss your glovebox. Speakers I mounted  high up under the dash  in the corners where the dash meets the A pillar.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers
Tony  Cheesy
Carla

www.myrtle.cjb. net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2001, 09:14:54 AM »

Thanks to all you advice guys gave me last year, I now have my FC Station sedan, including a stereo Grin, but alas no air cond Sad

If you want to have a look at what we've done to her she has a site at http://www.myrtle.cjb.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: