FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 03, 2024, 02:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SU Carbies for Grey  (Read 1796 times)
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:55:39 AM »

Can anyone fill me in on what size SU's are generally used in triples on Grey motors?  Also, a set of twin SU's that looked really neat on a Lynx manifold just sold on Ebay, does anyone know what size are used for twins, I had not heard of this before.

What is the easiest way to identify the size of a SU?

Mike
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:33:59 AM »

SU's come in several sizes 11/4" , 11/2", 2"then there are CD SU's as used on XU1 Toranas and lots of pommy cars like Jag's,there are new types and old Types. i think there is another size also,but the funny thing is you measure across the inlet where it bolts to manifold and they are not exactly 11/4 or 11/2 but smaller as is the 2 inch and also they have different bolt patterns for air cleaners but most air cleaners have mark outs to drill for different carbs,as for whats best it all depends on how modified your engine isof course a stock motor will probably flood with tripples but for a warm grey with slightly higher compression ,stronger valve springs ported head, warm  cam  and regraped dizzy the 11/4 would be good, for a head with big ports big valves hot cam regraped dizzy with good coil and strong bottom end preferably with bridged crank and better high comp pistons then 11/2 , ive been wrong before but i have run this set up before and it worked well with a bit of fine tuning (every week end) Grin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:44:44 AM by nicko » Logged

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 09:10:56 PM »

just to answer your Q about twins id say you could use the smaller SU's on a stock to warm motor and for a hot engine you could use any of the big SU's including the CD type.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: