FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 11:18:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: RADIATOR ( How Big ? )  (Read 4186 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:16:13 PM »

I'm at that stage of trial fitting everything into my FC Sedan and notice that the radiator that was in the car when I bought it, is not original.  It's a lot wider, and therefore the previous owner has cut away part of the front of the subframe to allow airflow to it.

Problem is, that I've  fitted a new subframe, that hasn't been cut up, and I'd rather keep it that way if possible.

So my question is......."Is a standard sized FC radiator sufficient enough for a XU1 replica 202" ?

I'd probably get a beefed up you beaut triple flow radiator, but FC sized, or is it best to cut out the front parts of the subframe and fit a bigger radiator ?

The motor is a red 202, YT head, Triple strommies, XU1 cam, Extractors bla bla bla !

It is also running a trimatic and yes, I have a seperate oil cooler !

Any ideas, tip and pics would be appreciated !

Cheers

Mark
craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 10:35:03 PM »

Mark,

I don't reckon the standard size radiator will even come close. A couple of us use the standard one with red motors but these aren't worked, and they definately can have a tendency to get a little hot in summer.

You can get an aftermarket triple core from Aussie Desert Cooler radiators, which may cope, but you don't want to go to all this effort and have a car you can only drive on cool days with no traffic. I reckon you should go with the bigger radiator.

Cheers,

Craig.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:04:20 PM »

Mark
I had a radiator place work out what I could do for my radiator. They calculated they could make a radiator of FE/FC dimensions that would cool a worked 202, but it would cost a tidy packet. Instead I did a little surgery to the radiator support, see this thread - http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1074251794;start=1

Streetneat has some ideas too.

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 11:47:16 PM »

Thanks for that guys...

I've called Aussie Desert Coolers in the mean time, and they quote a Triple flow ( 3 core ) replacement FC unit for $370.  
Norm says it will handle the red 202...but then again, he's selling them, so he would say that !

Has anyone ever fitted an Aussie desert cooler ?

Mark
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 12:59:56 AM »

i ran an aussie dessert cooler in an f%#d XY it was fitted to standard xy radiator top and bottom tank and was 3 core to try and tame my 302boss (windsor bottom end with clevo heads) and it did a great job.and $370 quoted sounds like cheap insurance for your engine.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 01:01:29 AM by nicko » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 09:33:52 AM »

Hey Mark
Norm at Aussie Desert Cooler has a very good reputation.
I think if he says it will do the job, then it will.
Personally I would still go for a bigger HR radiator with some extra cooling built in to be sure it never boils.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 09:35:53 AM by custom_fc » Logged

fjalldway

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:29:18 AM »

how much does Aussie Desert Coolers charge for their radiators in Aluminium??

how much better would alloy be?
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 10:04:47 PM »

DECISION MADE !

Thanks everyone for all your tips...but I've made a call and gone with a Aussie Desert Cooler.

I spoke to Norm this morning to clarify a few things.  He said the $370 radiator is their PERFORMANCE SINGLE PASS unit.  But I want better cooling, so I asked about his TRIPLE FLOW units..( pays to read streetmachine ), anyhow, he confirmed that the triple flows are at least 15% better than standard Performance Single Pass units.   He also said, that Copper, Brass or Alloy make no difference is cooling, just more a cosmetic, personal choice really.

So the Triple flows are $440....but said he'd do me one for $400 straight !

I double checked about the efficiency witha  hot 6 motor, and he personally guaranteed it.

He said, that they don't deal in bullshit, and he will guarantee it will be more than enough radiator for the job.

That's enough assurance for me !

So it will be FC size and should bolt straight in with no cutting or messing around !

But to be on the safe side, I should avoid burnouts in the middle of summer....but hey....it's not a drag car !

Thanks again for all your thoughts

Cheers

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: