FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 08:31:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HANDBRAKE CABLE  (Read 4877 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2004, 04:38:46 AM »

I've just spent 2 days trying to fit my CRS Chassis Kit into my up- turned FC sedan.    What a time we had.....nothing to do with the CRS, more the fact me re-welding of the floor crossmembers a little out of the factory location.....anyway...it's finally in, and all is looking sweet.

This now brings me to the popint, where the Handbrake cables need to be trial fitted.

My question is........I'm running a HR diff housing with drum brakes at the rear, so does a normal FC Handbrake cable fit, or do I need another sort ?

Also, where can I get them NEW ( if possible ).

Cheers

Mark
brett

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 06:53:27 AM »

Mark,I've done the same swap in my ute.the fitting off the brake backing plate on the fc is different to the hr but you need the outer sheath from the fc to mount to the body.I don't know how legal it is but I cut the end of my fc cable and hr one swapped all the bits to suit mounting etc and used a bit of 3/8 rod about the same length as width with a hole the size of the cable drilled through it and silver soldered it back onto the end and it works just fine just make sure you double check the lengths when cutting etc.                                                             Brett

If you want more inches stroke it!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 09:53:22 AM »

I am in the same boat, great tips there Brett, but something off-the-shelf would be nice though.

Mark, there is also some tips here in an older post of mine -
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1080682151;start=10
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 10:04:24 AM by stinky » Logged

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 06:30:29 AM »

There is something "off-the-shelf", I have sent an email to Autocables.com.au and received a reply. I have sent a couple more questions back and will post the results. Apparently he has done the conversion before.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 09:24:04 AM »

OK, Joe from Autocables has replied (very quick to respond!).
$90 gets you an FE/FC rear cable only, modified to suit a HR diff.

http://www.autocables.com.au

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 09:46:10 PM »

Stinky.....thanks for the heads up !

I rang Autocables, and have just placed my order.  He wasn't the most enthusiastic sounding guy in the world, but he did seem to know what he was on about, and was polite and helpful.....so it should be ready within a day or so !

It's a custom job, with a FC front cable mating up to a HR rear cable.
Worked out at $90 for the Rear and about $30 odd for the front.

They only supply the cables ( no brackets ect ), but for $120 odd, I think it's a pretty good deal to know your'e getting a custom fit handbrake cable that should bolt in fairly easily !

Thanks again

Mark Hughes
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 08:07:56 AM »

Brett, In my opinion you have done a perfectly safe & legal conversion.  Sounds just like the way I've done it on my car

Regards  Ken
brett

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 10:39:55 PM »

Jez $90 that's not bad for ten minutes work once you know the length.I think I'm in the wrong trade!

If you want more inches stroke it!
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 12:14:13 AM »

Stinky.......my Handbrake cables arrived today from Autocables.

And Brett...yeah, I suppose it is on the high side, but since it arrived and I can check it out....I say it was worth every cent !

The cables are cut to length, sealed on the ends , complete with springs, sheaths, connectors, and rubber protectors where it rests against the frame.

It looks as if it was straight out of the factory, and for me, that's worth every penny !
If it doesn't fit proper;y, I'll be straight on the phone to them and I'll have some sort of recourse.

Total cost for Front Cable, Rear Cables and postage to WA $129

I would be happy to recommend them to anyone else, and I'll certainly use them again for any other cables I may need.

Thanks again Stinky

Mark
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 12:40:23 AM »

No worries Mark, I might wait until you've fitted yours before I order mine  Grin.
But really, the recommendation was initially from someone else on the board, I just had them bookmarked.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: