FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 08:30:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT FUEL SYSTEM ???  (Read 4518 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2004, 05:51:08 AM »

Can anyone please advise on the best set up for a fuel system for a worked 202 / trimatic / hr lsd 3.36 Huh

- What type of fuel pump  ( Holley Red / Blue ect )
- What type of filters

and where's the best place to put these...(ie) is it best to have the pump closer to the tank, or in the Engine bay ?

From Back to Front....Tank - Filter - Pump - Huh??

Line size Huh?

Any help appreicated...pics even better !

Cheers

Mark
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 08:08:15 AM »

hi there
my car is running a worked 186, 350 holley, 2&1/2" exhaust im using factory red mech pump,3/8" fuel lines from tank to carb.
Ive had no problems at all will getting full fuel supply.
But if i don't use car for a week or two fuel gets sucked back to the pump then to the tank, a couple of cranks and away she starts Grin
hope this is some help.
PS if you use a holley pump (electric ) be sure to mount it on a flexable base they make a lot of noise and vibrate,
also use a fuel regulatour, can't remember what pressure to set it at someone outthere will know.
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 08:39:07 AM »

Blown FC

if it means anything Im running a hot 179 HP with a wild ported head big cam and tripple stromberg carbies.  
Im using a standard fuel pump from a blue 6 cyl motor (the one without the fuel site bowl) and it has no problems keeping up the fuel.

I have run a few different carbie set up's like holley, 350, 500 and 465 4 barrel, twin ww2 holden and now the tripples and like i said no fuel starvation up top at all. oh I lie, one time I did but I had a non vented fuel cap fitted to the car and you whot that means.

hope it helps,
Steve
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 08:40:54 AM by digger » Logged
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 02:50:15 AM »

If u choose an electric pump, I would mount it at the same height as the fuel tank, otherwise you may kill it prematurely. Also Id prolly put it close to the tank as possible.

I've mounted a Carter lift pump near my tank (about 4 inches of line away), which feeds an underfloor Surge tank, which inturn feeds a hi-vol Bosch EFI pump (6 inches from surge tank).

the longer the line, the higher the chances of fuel starve which will kill the bearings. I would prefilter your fuel supply before the pump too.

in the wagon this was a real PITA, since the tank is the lowest point of the car, and exahusts etc.. in particular with return lines and surge tank mounting.

I have a pre filter for the lift pump and then another inline filter following the hi Vol pump too.

Id say a std 6cyl system would cope with your set up.  if in doubt check out similar factory set ups from torana, comm, etc.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 03:16:32 AM »

Like Ed says, the answer is always to look at what the factory does. In your situation you have really only duplicated an XU1 engine setup, and they just used the standard mechanical pump. From memory these things have a 7PSI output which needs to be reduced with SU's but the CD Stromberg's will be fine.

I used to run triple CD 175's with a much ported 9 port head and 44/74 cam profile. The standard glass bowl pump coped fine without ANY fuel starvation. Engine revved past 7000rpm no problems.

What about the pump from an injected black motor? This should fit and could keep up with the higher demands of the fuel injection system.

Here's a picture from about 1985.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 03:19:08 AM by craiga » Logged
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 03:28:11 AM »

looks neat Craig, look better in your FC though.

the EFI pump output would be about 45psi, so probably too much, I think the non EFI regs, only cope with about 14 psi (or thereabouts) as well.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 05:21:27 AM »

nice lookin motor hope to have one of my own in the near future.

MICK
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 09:17:23 PM »

Mark
All of the hotted up Holdens, both six and V8 that I have owned have always run the standard fuel pump and have never had any problems with fuel delivery. I have always run an inline Ryco filter before the pump to ensure no grit enters the pump valves.
If you want to run an electric pump, the setup I ran on a Turbocharged bridgeported Rotary a few years ago was a Cessna Aircraft electric pump mounted near the tank feeding high pressure fuel lines to a Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator mounted in the engine bay. This had an excess fuel return line to the tank. Fuel delivery was never a problem with that car and it used plenty of fuel.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
blown red
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 02:08:16 AM »

Hey there blown_fc.

I had a hot 202 in a HR 10 years ago, and i had nothing but trouble with my mechanical fuel pump, just diaphrams, etc...Not to say that they are all lemons. I just know mine was.

I pulled it off and cleaned it 100 times (always on the side of the road when you least expect it to hapen). I put a new diaphram and full kit, but still would never run right, plus like old mate said about in the morning the fuel has run back into the tank, making it a bitch to start.

I ended up going to a wreckers and buying an electronic fuel pump off any old jap car for $25, and i never had  trouble with it again.

Conect it to the power from your ignition, so the moment you turn your key on, its getting pumped up to the carby. In seconds the fuel is up there.

They are usualy self regulating so theres no need for external regulators.

There are 2 wires (positive and negative), so it takes all of about 10 minutes to totaly install.

Another plus is you could hardly hear this thing run, (not like a holley).

Hope this helps. I sure wish that i had done this from the start. sure would had saved a lot of heartache, sweatting, and cursing.

Cherrs blown red.
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 02:30:34 AM »

Only thing with the electric pump guys is to make sure you hook it up through a relay.  If u dont and the engine stalls but the ignition is still on you will flood the carby.  The other thing if u have an accident and the engine catches fire fuel is still being pumped into the engine bay and we all know where that leads.

MICK
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 03:39:15 AM »

Some states require the electric fuel pump to be wired thru a relay which has it's power supplied via an oil pressure switch and a blck box of electronics, car crash motor no go no oil pressure no fuel.
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: