FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 04, 2024, 06:14:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC ute conversion from 202 to 308  (Read 5062 times)
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2003, 10:31:59 AM »

Hi guys,

I am in the process of purchasing an FC ute with a 202 under the bonnet, has a four speed and HR front end.. I am looking at replacing the 202 with a fully worked 308 and turbo 400......
would there be much modofications to be made to fit the 308......and how much do you think it would cost...
I know it will need a chasis kit.....what are they worth to be fitted.....?
can any one please help as I don't want to purchase the 308 if it's gonna cost an arm and a leg or 2....

cheers,
Paul
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 11:03:23 AM »

Paul,

This has been discussed many times on the site.  Do a search in the Modification Help board for V8 and see what you find.

Long story short is discuss with a competent engineer in your state to determine exactly what will be required before laying out a penny.  Perhaps get in contact with "gp" on this site who might be able to put you onto one in Canberra.

You will need to do severe floor-pan mods to make that motor fit, as well as significant surgery in the steering department.  In any case a small-block Chev is easier to fit (up to 307 is legal in NSW, don't know about ACT), because the shape of the motor is different - the Y-shape is thinner.  Unless you've really got your heart set on the 308, I'd recommend you think about a Commodore V6 conversion, which can be bought off-the-shelf from Pat Gardiner at http://www.v6conversions.com.au

Speaking as someone who learnt the hard way, if you're not in a position to do a significant amount of the work yourself, expect to spend a lot of money on this project.  You will find a lot of people on this site will be able to give you good advice though, so you can avoid spending more money than you should.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 09:28:42 PM »

Hi Paul,

Im echo'ing what RET said..

I dont think "fully worked 308" and "not going to cost and arm and a leg" fit in the same sentence!

Give yourself a budget then double that, give yourself some time and quadruple that.

If the project doesnt break you.. it will certainly make you.

Cheers

Ed (still in the making) lol

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 06:48:22 AM »

G'day Paul,

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.
Question is how much power is enough?
I have put a V6 Commodore engine into my Van and when done will give about 175kw, moving 1200kg is a pretty good power to weight ratio... For me anyway.

The Van from start to finish will cost around 25g to build, not counting the man hours... About 3 years so far.

The advise given on this site however has proved to be invaluable.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 10:13:28 AM »

To give you an indication, to purchase outright from a well known hot rod shop, the modified HR front end (bare), 3/4 chassis kit, rack and pinion steering, Ford 9" diff and centre, P76 disc brake conversion, floor pan hump, drop spindles (not required but nice!), special extractors, engine mounts, and brake booster leaves no change from $5k.

On top of that you need a motor and 'box, a zillion bits and pieces that don't come with the above kit, and many, many hours.

Then there is the engineer's certification costs, and paint, panel and trim.

There are much more cost effective ways to drive a V8 Holden. Enjoy the six, and buy a tidy VS Commodore. Dollarwise, you'll still be ahead.

Regards
Ed

Rabbit

Dont like the Bloke at the end of the Street!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 07:22:27 AM »

Try Rod Hadfield
http://www.rodshp.com.au Wink

Cheers Rabbit....
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 10:58:45 AM »

Thanks guys.......think I will stick with the 202 then and tweak it up....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: