FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 02:25:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear late 1959 chrome fin extensions  (Read 18337 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »

Hi all.

I have been looking for some pics on this and have not seen any recently so here goes. I have three rear fins. 2 are definitely off my car which is a late 59 going by the plate ID and I have another one which has same part number but has a few differences.
The 2 close together have slightly different ends. See one is thinner and one has a different mould line underneath. Of less significance (I think) is the screw type. Any thoughts or are they both 59 from different batch?

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/fcpaintstyles.html
See Mid 1959 Style:
Insert only (Chrome tail-fin extended right up to front-most edge of "C" pillar).
The fin & extension slide together.
Plain end pre mid '59 (for paint styles with no extension separating rear guard from boot).
I thought we left this earlier thinking there were 4 part numbers for the fins - right & left sides for both shapes.

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »

So are these plain ends? Doesn't look like there provision for any trim. Last question, so you can have a Dec 59 fc with normal fins?

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »

My understanding is -
The modified ends allowing an extension piece to slide over were only for the paint style on the model produced after mid '59.
"Plain end" was my description of the earlier fins that are flat underneath, for paint styles on both models produced pre mid '59.

All FCs have the rear fin (except the one you put up the photo of). The third model has a slightly different fin to the 1st and 2nd model, but it looks the same (different part numbers though)......
Ken

Dave
0417 270 315
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »

Whilst I was away I assumed there were 2 new part numbers for the late 1959 fins. It appears now looking in the parts book that there was no new part number introduced for the late fin, it simply superseded the old part. So it would be possible to find a 1 st or 2 nd model car with 3 rd model fins on it if they had been replaced due to accident etc with new parts.
However, you would not find a 3 rd model car with early fins on it. Not only for this reason but that the stainless stripe doesn't fit well on an early fin.

Dean, the difference between the two late fins you have shown is simply due to different suppliers. Almost every part used by GMH had more than one supplier.

Ken
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »

That explains why I couldn't find more parts numbers. You're the ace on these Ken.

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »

Ok cool. Thanks. I'll grind down the forward section or look underneath to see evidence of the forward extension and this Ken might confirm if mine did come out with it in the first place and it might have been custom to change to the simple rear fin on the taxi given the solid colour of the back end. I'll look for that now too. I just wanted to put pics up because I couldn't find any. If you guys know of a decent link by all means put it up for newer guys.

Deano

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 07:56:24 AM »

Dean, there would be no reason to change a taxi to a simple rear fin in my opinion. Otherwise why not remove other chrome stripes as well that were no longer needed such as the ones on the side. Your car should have the fin extensions and if they are not there then you should find evidence underneath where they have been filled up by someone at a later date.
Even one colour specials from the factory still have the colour separator even though there are no colours to separate.
Any deviation from standard on the production line would have a code on the ID plate. Factories work on consistency, there were no ad hoc decisions made to leave this off, or add this on without coding.
Your paperwork indicates info on taxi meters becoming compulsory. Your car should have plenty of holes in the firewall and dash showing where this equipment was installed.
Post a pic of the ID plate on the firewall and the chassis number. I'm beginning to think that the body may have been changed on your car from the original.
Ken

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »

Yeah. Sorry to be a pain but I really do want it put back to the taxi spec. So thanks for sharing the enthusiasm. I know that the second owner was a Mr A. Burnside. He was an older guy who had a monaro at the same time (in 80's) as a project. But he died before finishing the taxi BUT, I have his sons phone number that I was given and I was hoping to do something nice for those guys when it's finished, like taking them on a birdwood run and sort of do a bit of a run in their fathers name. But will get in touch with them when I'm further along. Considering that his father met the old taxi owner I might get more info. This fellow also has the $$$ and cents meter that the taxi changed to, presumably in 1966 so I'm assuming it must have still been a taxi in 1966. The mid roof has a large depression if you feel by hand. I do know that the second old guy had no intention of turning it back to a taxi. Some of the colours on the inner door were laid on as tests for colours for the monaro. If I ever find that monaro in the family I'll show you lol. I don't like stripping pain on any project til I know I'm close to doing the panel. I'm thinking the depression is either due to a paint job that built up layers around an object or its possibly from a megantic base wearing that area. Hoping to get back to doing the cars when kids go back to school. I promised myself I would be with them most days through January during their holidays. It's allowing me to do more research hence so many questions.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 12:32:12 AM »

Interesting (Ken), I was going through a heap of parts tonight and low and behold I found this. I think cos I got 3 tail fins if it was this that it would say that. I'm still looking for at least 1 extension then.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »

Ok guys I finally found a fin extension offsite where I had stuff I forgot about. So the fins above are the late 59 ones. See the little centre bit is raised and depressed on the edge. I took it home and it slid over with little folds that slide on. So it's definitely a 59 car and the L engine must have been a replacement early in the piece, could well be out of the fc's in the pic on my build page. I'm thinking as a cooperative they most likely did changeovers amongst the group with their sizeable garage. So the engine that was in the taxi is an Fj, but not his engine from his other Fj. With the high km he was doing just to get to and from work meant that this was it's third engine with docs to prove it. I don't have any docs to prove the first engine.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »

Ok so the pics I have there above are late 59 if anyone wants to copy them.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 08:24:11 PM »

Ok so the pics I have there above are late 59 if anyone wants to copy them. See how it slides over. Not sure how easy it is to change the technical page but I think it would be good to modernise that colour section regarding the different generations and fins etc. I'm volunteering to help if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »

Can anyone show me a close up photo showing size and cross section of these extension pieces as I'm guessing the same sections may have been use [not necessarily the same length] on other vehicles . An example would be the chrome section from tail light to rear bumper on two tone FC can be made from VW bug side chrome moulding . Without mentioning what can be done with the after market aluminium copies

Ok so the last image shows FE door trim chrome [which I used to separate my paint at tail lights] then the original chrome and a couple of VW side moulds . The image inside the Vauxhall coupe shows the flexibility of the  aluminium after market side moulds . Just thought I would put it out there for people wanting to do custom stuff. Cheers Haydn
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »

Haydn,
They look to be a higher profile.

Dave
0417 270 315
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »

Yes , the profile seem fairly common . There is a guy up here in Qld who has been repairing auto moulding forever and goes around shows and swaps selling and repairing . He has been trying to sell the business as he says he is too old . Look similar to some old Hillman Minx moulds I have .

Haydn
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »

Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for new ideas and sometimes one thing leads to another etc. I wouldn't mind doing something on the fe, like a fc type variation but I rarely think anything beats solid, non 2 tone colour on them even with no trim. So maybe one day I'll think up or find something I like. The one above is a bit bent from getting it off but I won't try correct it until I'm ready to put it back.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: