FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Sedan  (Read 2689 times)
propig2003

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:07:31 PM »

G'day guys, just after a bit on info on a car I have recently purchased. From the numbers I have found on here, it seems this FE sedan may have been out of rego for quite a while, as it was not listed on the Vic Roads system when the wife purchased an Unregistered Vehicle Permit earlier today.
Numbers on the ID tag are:

Vin          FE/225-5197M
Trim No    226-470 
Paint No   253-7475
Top No     253-7446, and
Engine No L365322

I bought it as a club registered car. This is going to be my new daily driver. On consulting with the previous owner, I found out It was a 1957 model, was a Barn find, although it has been repainted in original colours, and re trimmed, but not in original colours though.
Am I right to assume it has been unregistered for a while, hence no record of it on the Vic Roads system?
Or is there another reason? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm waiting to hear back from the previous owner as to where the vehicle was purchased.
Thanks in advance

Brett

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »

The body number from the ID plate is not the number recorded on the vic roads database. It is the chassis number which is located on the engine bay skirt. A 1957 car may have the number on the passenger side near the battery (early 57), or on the drivers side half way along (late 57)
The engine number is also recorded by vic roads but engines are readily and easily changed so this may not be definitive in finding prior registration.
 Generally for a car not to be on the database means that it has to have been unregistered before computerization of the database (a long time)
If the car is a barn find (ie may not have been registered after the eighties) then there is a good chance it won't be there.
Ken
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:15 PM »

Thanks Ken, I'll check out the skirts tomorrow
Cheers
Brett
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »

Thanks Ken, it got the better of me, lol. It was positioned on the passenger side, near the battery. The only numerals I can make out is 7253231.
The previous owner got back to me saying the same as above, and that the engine is the one it left the factory with. Would these numbers, the engine and the chassis numbers, make sense to you Ken?
Cheers for the insight mate, I'll get on to Vic Roads tomorrow and try and suss out a little bit more info.

Cheers
Brett
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »

Brett, thought I'd better get on the case since you're keen.
I entered the car into my data base and the engine number is correct for the car. The chassis number is 7-25323-M
The 7 stands for 1957. It is the 24,323rd FE made at the Melbourne plant (that's what the M stands for).
And yes, chassis number lines up perfectly with the database so it is right as well.
I would date the car as mid July 1957
It should be a nice two tone green (Biscay green over Shannon green) paint with a Peacock green and Dolphin Green interior.

Ken
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »

Cheers Ken, great detective work. Yes the colour is Biscay Green over Shannon Green, unfortunately it's been re trimmed, but not in factory colours.
Thank you very much for that Ken, I greatly appreciate it
Cheers
Brett
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: