FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:35:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: clutch return spring noise  (Read 5819 times)
moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »

Hi all,  My clutch return spring is quite loud. I assume this is caused by tension. Is there any way I can quieten this noise down. It is loud when i activate the clutch pedal in and out......my Mrs would appreciate any help any assistance Undecided...  The noise drives here nuts.  Cheers Moe`t
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

Moe't

have you tried giving it a spray with WD40 or similar, also where it attaches under the dash

Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »

Yep - lubricate the 2 spring attachment points - 1 on the end of the pedal and the other which is harder to locate, up under the dash.

Ken
moetstockie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »

Huh Been there done that lads. Used spray oil/spray grease.  Does every one else's make a straining sound ? If not should I replace the spring or is it under too much tension. Your thoughts please ... otherwise it's a dream to drive and have done 12,000 miles in 2 yrs now and looks a picture!  Cheers Moe`t
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »

You sure you haven't put in a heavy duty clutch? The straining noise could be coming from the driver. As long as it's not accompanied by passing of wind, it's within factory settings  Cheesy Cheesy

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Some WD40 cured the noise and stickiness in my clutch return spring. Spray the two spring attachment points, and the sides of the pedal pendulum point (right, right up under the dash) then work the pedal until the spray penetrates the bushing.

Cheers,
Harv
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »

Could it be the pushrod going into the slave ?

Or is there a crack in the pedal assembly or where it joins to the dash assembly ?

I prefer to use deoderant for lube as it goes on dry and its slippery as hell..

Pete

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »

If you're sure it is properly lubricated then there is most likely a crack in the pedal box assembly as fchoon suggests. I have seen this before and is quite common. There are 2 bolts on the clutch pedal which allow adjustment/removal of the spring along with an appropriate piece of wood. The workshop manual shows this in excellent detail. The pedal box however is a real pain to remove, so this should be your last resort. Virtually everything needs to be removed from inside the firewall including the sound deadner panel.
Ken
moetstockie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

Thanx Brains trust, I will investigate in order to improve the look on my darling's face when i change gears.  Much appreciatted....Moe`t
moetstockie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

Lads, I found that spray oils were not the go. I used oil and diesel mix and the noise has vanished.....Thanks for your offerings. Living and learning. Moe`t
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »

Yes, the old type of mix oldies used on their xb sqeaky front ends or their leaf springs in 4wd's. The diesel oil really sticks well. The other idea is to get your missus to wear ear plugs, or you could leave her home  Roll Eyes Huh Undecided...no not a good idea  Cheesy. I wonder how long it will work? Hoon is right, oil it then spray deodorant or hair spray on it which seals it in. Make sure you use your mrs's fave scent though and make sure you don't lube anything else with deodorant   Tongue Lips sealed

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: