FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 07:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: South Australian - Convoys  (Read 8174 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »

Hi All

We have 2 groups hitting the road on Sunday the 1st.

The first to leave is just 2 cars, Jim (me) and Phil departing home at 0600h and meeting in Port Wakefield, we really do not have a plan, we are going to rough it using rest stops or what ever takes our fancy at the time. Phil has a tent and I have my pillow sleeping bag and camp seat. I am looking forward to the adventure. Rough idea of what we might achieve every day.

Day 1 Sun = Adelaide - Ceduna or beyond,
Day 2 Mon = Ceduna (?) - Madura or Beyond
Day 3 Tues = Madura (?) - Perth or close enough that we can have an easy drive Wednesday morning.
Day 4 Wed = ? - Perth

Second group is headed up by Kathy & Greg they depart Adelaide at about midday for an over night stop in Port Pirie (Pickup another member) and then hit the road on Monday.

I will try and keep you updated as we make our way accross Australia again.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »

Me again,
Thought I would leave some contact details just in case someone out there is looking to cruise with us across this big wide country.

My number is: 0408 341 341.

Killing time whilst I wait to get my car back from the Exhaust shop, had new header pipes (Jack M) made and the steering hits when I turn hard left, so it looks like he is going to make a whole new set up. His first attempt looked and fitted great he put in a lot of hard work and effort trying to get it right and leave room to work, some times shit just happens. Hell of a nice bloke I would reccommend him Shane Best: Carline Muffler / Complete Exhaust - Brahama Lodge, and the price was not bad either. Cheaper than my tune up.

My car should purr like a kitten:
- new exhaust,
- new radiator,
- dyno-ed (plugs, points, condenser replaced),
- wheel alignment balance & rotate,
- brakes checked cleaned and adjusted,
- engine oil and filter changed,
- gear box and diff oils checked and topped up,
- new fan belt to be fitted,
- Air con checked (windows & vents),
- Wheel Bearing replace and packed recently,
- greased all nipples that I could find.

Is there anything I have missed ?

Cheers Jim

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »

- greased all nipples that I could find.

Hmmmm, a little too much info there I think!

Good luck to the entire SA contingent, the Stinkys wish they were there and all the best in grabbing the Club Trophy.

Now please just STFU!   Tongue Tongue Tongue

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »

Well Almost all done, one more sleep (soon) to go will be up at 0500 breakfast pack food, coffee, servo for fuel and air.

On the road by 0600 and on our way to Perth "SEE YOU ON THE ROAD"

Cheers Jim

Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:43:17 PM »

Just as well we get 1 extra hour of sleep tonight (try and wind your body clock back 1 hour  Cheesy)

Have a safe and wonderful trip and keep us all updated with progress.

Try to keep your eyes on the road and not just admiring those great fender rear view mirrors  Cheesy

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:16:49 AM »

Safe travels and also check your pinion seal. We are updating our diary soon with the fuel prices as you cross, do not buy at the WA border travel into Eucla it 10 cents cheaper

Townsville North Queensland
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »

hi all
Progressing well, day 1 we made good time and made it past Ceduna, we stayed the night in ? At what could be loosly called a caravan park,

Day 2 we drove a short distance to nullabour roadhouse for coffee and then continued the express all the way to Norman.

This is the first spot that I have had internet so not mush opportunity to update as we go, I have added photo's to my photobucket account when ever I could. Would post more but am a little tired.

Happy trails to you all

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

Hi Jim
If you stayed overnight at Nundroo, How did you manage to drive any further ?
Didn't the locals steal your wheels overnight ??
This is where local workers drive the 90 kms to the next pub for a beer

Check you've still got hubcaps  Grin

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »

Hi All
Arrived in Perth at approx 5:30 pm on Tuesday, so we made it. I am about to head of to the Mechanic in the hope that my issues are only minor and can be fixed by adjusting the tappets, timing, idle and replace points. I will update this post once I get back from the mechanic.

Cheers Jim

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »

Update:

I did not not make it to the mechanic, could not even get the car started. I made a mercy call to Gary Steven (FEUTE) who soon arrived with tools in hand and Brad Williams (FCFROMSCRATCH) in tow to assist.

We tried everything to get the old girl to fly, "NO SUCH LUCK" A call to Seb was made and he suggested that it sounded like a timing gear issue as the rotor button was not moving as it should when you manually turn the crank. Process of elimination,

- step 1 remove and check dizzy is OK, all seemed good so we replaced it and moved on to timing gear. Brad and Gary had to go so I proceeded with,

- step 2 but before I did I call Geoff Black (aka Blacky) who lives about 5 k's up the road, he quickly came with tools and assisted with removing harmonic balance removal (modified red motor) and timing cover. Once removed on visual inspection all seemed OK no teeth missing "WTF" was my thought. with a little more fidgeting Blacky discovered that the drive (smaller drive gear on the crank) was a little loose so slid it forward a little and looked at the key way with a torch, "Jim this does not look" we removed the front key and slid the gear off, yep the rear key way was stuffed " New Crank Shaft Required" this old girl was not going any ware. Black took a photo and sent it to Gary and next thing I received a call from Tumbles with an offer of a motor (runner) or a crank my choice.

- Step 3, Blacky went home and grabed his trailer, Gary picked up the motor with his son Brock, whilst all this was happening I packed up the tools and cleaned up.

- Step 4 car loaded on trailer and taken to Blacky's shed (Nice shed I would never leave it and a nice collection of cars in it just to add to the man cave feel. Once the car was unloaded I started to disconnect everything for the motor exchange, Gary and Brock arrived with motor. Not long after that I called it a day as my dinner was getting cold and Sonja and William had driven from Freo to have dinner with us (I am staying at my Son Jared place)

- Step 5 get up early and go to Blacky's to work on the motor exchange. Hopefully all goes well and we get this all done and dusted in the day.

Thanks to all the people only to willing to lend a hand and get my car back on the road for the start of the nationals.

Sorry forgot to get a photo of the crank, will update tomorrow.

Cheers Jim

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »

Radiator and fan out ready to tackle removing timing gear, before the discovery.

On the trailer out the front of Blacky's place waiting to clear a space in the shed.

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:11 AM »

Step 6 - Got out of bed , breakfast dropped Cooper (Grandson) at school and his father at work then headed to Blacky's.

Step 7 - Arrived at Blacky's at approx 0815, engine and gear box removal completed 11 am ( not an easy task on your own) but it had to be done.

Step 8 - remove and transfer external  component, call rare parts Welshpool and order required parts, Thrust bearing, manifold, fuel pump, rocker cover and a couple of other gaskets, continue working on removal and transfer of parts.

Step 9 - Go to Auto Pro and buy oil and anti freeze / boil, pick up Jared & Cooper.

Step 10 - Back to Blacky's and continue to work on the car.

Step 11 - All done engine fitted and everything connected. a little bit of play with the points and hey presto "IVY Lives to drive another day"

Step 12 - Blacky's mate (mechanic) coming over in the morning to give both my car and Blacky's sweet FB / EK Ute the once over.

Step 13 - Nationals check in.

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 09:12:30 AM »

Good to hear that you got going Jim, now go have some fun......sounds like you need to.

Dean.
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

Hi Dean

Its bean an adventure, beats doing all that tourist'y type crap, I got to spend 24+ hours in a real shed / workshop surrounded by big boys toys. What more could a bloke need ?. Hmmm Bourbon and Bikini Girls would have been good but would have distracted me.

Nationals History
- 2005 Jindabyne - Home ward bound (Brisbane) burnt a valve (new head required) still made it home on 5 cylinders.
- 2006 Philip Island - Spewin did not go,
- 2008 Mt Gambier - Alloy timming gear worn and moved, still made it home to Perth,
- 2010 Orange - All went well both ways. 
- 2012 Perth - See below.

Its all part of the adventure, and thats what coming to the nationals is about it a challenge to drive your car around the country and have the confidence that you will make it.

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: