FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 05:52:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Damn rear shock mount  (Read 4268 times)
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:01:17 AM »

I had a bit of a noise under the rear of the UTE Huh  figured it must be the exhaust must have  broke a mount ,, thought I should have a look as I was going to Goulburn Swap the next day well it turned out that it has cracked and torn the top shock mount out of the floor Shocked Shocked and the shock was sitting against the diff centre Damn  Sad Sad so do I un pick it and look for a replacement to weld back in Huh OR modify it and unpick both and make a new support from rail to rail to mount the shocks of so it won't happen again .....
The cause of the problem  Huh Huh
Checked shock length thought that with the lowering of the Ute the shock may have been bottoming out Not the case
Shock was not to hard
body was in  good condition no rust etc
 Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
...FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »

Mark,

Make a new rail, easy job for you.

you dont want that to happen again.

CHeers

Ed

in the shed
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »

Mark,

I have seen this before on quite a few of the early Holdens, particularly those that have seen a fair bit of dirt road use.

Either a rail as you have suggested, or replace the mount and weld it back in. From experience the mount comes loose (breaks away) from the spot welds. Once welded back in I have never had one break free again.

As you have experienced it is more metal fatigue rather than corrosion

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »

How dare the fifty year old metal fatigue i bet if it was a new car it would be shagged after 20 years.

Mine fatigued all around the hole in the FC it was a country car dirt roads so i m guessing vibration killed it.

Shouldnt be to big of a job i think i welded round oversized discs over the repair.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »

Mark, this happened a few years ago to my FE Sedan, the drivers side rear from memory, just drilled out the spots, dressed it up and had it plug welded back up
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »

Mark,
 if you need a replacement, then i am wrecking a car at the moment and i could cut out the mount for you.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »

This has happen to me twice.
The culprit was air shocks.
Regards
Alex

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »

Mark,
 if you need a replacement, then i am wrecking a car at the moment and i could cut out the mount for you.
That would be fantastic as It's my day driver and the old Ute is bouncing around a fair bit  Sad...and this will be the quickest and easiest Thanks for your help  Grin Grin Grin.....FC427 .... nearly for got it's the passenger side I need will send you a PM

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: