FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 06:32:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holden tribute for last 48-215 engineer Jack Rawnsley  (Read 2280 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:14:51 AM »

Guys, Australia has lost one of its finest gentlemen.

Holden Ltd | 22 February 2011

Holden is today paying tribute to Jack Rawnsley, the last remaining engineer to have worked on the very first Holden - the 48-215 - who passed away yesterday aged 99. Mr Rawnsley will be remembered as one of a small team of Holden's best engineers sent to Detroit in 1945 to develop the foundations for "Australia's Own Car". Upon his return home in 1948, he was responsible for ensuring the car designed, engineered and built in Australia was tailored for the country’s harsh local conditions - something that Holdens have been known for ever since. Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mike Devereux said Mr Rawnsley was considered Holden royalty by employees past and present. “Jack and his colleagues were true pioneers and paved the way not just for Holden’s success, but the Australian automotive industry as a whole,” Mr Devereux said. “With Jack’s sad passing we lose a cherished link with our past but a daily reminder of his extraordinary work is his legacy of designing, engineering and manufacturing the best possible cars for Australian motorists.” Holden extends its deepest sympathies to Mr Rawnsley’s daughter Brenda, son John, extended family members and friends.

Graham

CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »

Thanks for letting us know Graham. Sad to hear of his passing.

I had the priviledge of having Jack as a tour guide through the Port Melbourne engine plant in about 1996, back when I was working for Snap On.

He really loved Holden and everything it stood for.

Vale Jack. RIP.
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

R.I.P Mr. Jack Rawnsley Cry

Always my respect..

They sure don't make cars like they used to...
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
+1

Indeed. I was saddened to hear of Jack's passing. He was a thorough gentleman, and it was an honour to spend some time with him when I had the opportunity.

There's an obituary on the FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW site.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »

RIP Jack

Thanks for the legacy you have left us as it is one that has generated a fabric that brings many of us old holden tragics together all around the world.

Respectfully Craig D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: