FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 07:40:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Change Harmonic Balancer  (Read 4081 times)
perth_ute

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:23:16 AM »

Hello All,

Has anyone changed a harmonic balancer on a red 202 in fe ute? I have the removal tool so I have removed the radiator and engine fan but I am wondering about fitting it. I have been told that a rubber mallot will do but ther is not much room to swing because of the grill being in the way.

David.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:22 AM »

I did this to my FE a few years ago, bastard of a job, rubber mallet would make it even harder. We used a steel hammer and a piece of tube to protect the balancer. Radiator out and I think I might have even dropped the gearbox crossmember to angle the motor.
If you can pull the motor out to install it, do it.

perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:17 AM »

funny you say that because doing engine change in 6 months. So in this case do not want to pull the engine out. Somehow need to put it back on as I want it to be a safe ride in the meantime.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:49 AM »

Couldnt you just align the Key way and get a longer bolt to start pulling the balancer on???

Or in reality is this not possible. (as i havent done a 202 only a nissan one)

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »

There is no centre bolt on a standard 202 crank to pull the balancer on.
I'd suggest removing the grill.Thats how i do them Wink
ACE  Cool
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »

There you go.

OldGMHolden
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »

Here's an old trick from an old bushie.

With the puller attached up tight, put the harmonic balancer in mum's oven for AT LEAST 2 hours at 180 deg C. (no, not the microwave)
Don't go any hotter as the rubber bits and seal will suffer.

Cool the end of the crankshaft with crushed ice in a plastic bag (to stop water getting into the timing case).
Better still if you use dry ice in something like a stocking.

When the balancer is really hot, it should slip easily on to the crank, or may need slight persuasion with a large whack or two on the end of the bolt.
Don't waste a rubber mallet on this, and time is of the essence to keep things at their hottest and coldest.

If there's no room for the hammer AND the big bolt, you could try without the puller, but be carefull hitting the balancer.

Oh, and make sure everything is shiny and well oiled before you start.

Works for me, but to responsibility accepted if you're on different medication.

Cheers,
Gaz
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »

thankyou for all of the advise. I would like to start by saying what a pig to replace. I have a hr front end, 202, and hr radiator. I had to remove the radiator, fan, electric fan, front grill, radiator support bar, and the horns. Pulled off ok and seal needed to be replaced. Gave it a good clean and then the fun part of fitting the new harmonic balancer. After 10's of hammer bangs and putting down rags so I did not dent the body work around the front grill it is in. No wobble and spins well. Now ready for the perth nationals... as a viewer ofcourse. Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: