FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 10:28:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing Gear Replacement  (Read 1807 times)
fe

Model: FE

My FE

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »

Hi
Next week I'm replacing the timing gear in my Fe sedan
I'm OK with a spanner but not sure on the procedure
Can someone explain the process so I know what to do
the questions I have at the moment are
Do I drain the oil from the car and how do I align the timing marks as my timing gear is stripped
how do I put it back the right way'..is there any special tools [other than a harmonic Balancer tool]
any advice or pics or anything will be highly regarded
Cheers
 Fe

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

Take plugs out for easy rotation and the distributor cap off. turn crank around until the timing mark shows up on the flywheel and rotor button points to the mark on the dizzy case that indicates No1 (1,5,3,6,2,4) obviously valve cover (rocker cover) should be off.

rock the crank back and forth a tad. you should get movement of the valves on Number 6, each way you move the crank,one or the other of those valves will "rock n roll".  If the rockers on Number 6 aren't moving ,then number 1 cylinder is not right.

i think this is the way. use allow gear though. check end play and stuff too and try to work out why it stripped.

there are pictures on the ek forum of a gregory's book. u could always go down to a parts shop and take a photo of the page u want  Wink if u have a good camera, like a photo copy ha ha.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: