FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 09:23:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Changing of gears..  (Read 3350 times)
Champ58FC

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »

Hi all,

I am wanting to know whether I'm changing the gears correctly?

I know how to drive a manual car, but three on the tree is very new to me as I just acquired an FC approx.6 weeks ago. I have been driving it for about a handful of times and it seems to me I am doing the gear change correctly, i.e; no crunching of gears or stuff like that...

I generally listen to the engine rev and also look at the rev range gauge to change my gears. First gear tops at about 20 miles than I change to second which I wait till the revs builds up to about 30 miles then off to third!. Is that about right???.. I have heard that you got to let these awesome grey motors rev a bit. Yes???

Thanks in advance,

Han.

They sure don't make cars like they used to...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »

Sounds OK for cruising - will go harder than that in both 1st and 2nd for a bit more noise.

Ken
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:10 AM »

Hi Ken,

Do you mean I can allow the revs and engine noise go harder without damaging anything before going from one gear to another?
In other words, I can let the engine open up more??...right???

Cheers,

Han.

Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »

Han

I'm not sure that I agree with your change points.  For smooth, economical, ordinary driving, I reckon:
1st to 2nd:  10-15mph
2nd to 3rd:  Around 25mph.

I have heard that you got to let these awesome grey motors rev a bit. Yes???

NO.  The standard grey is not a little Japaneses buzz-box that needs to rev to get moving.  The engine develops its torque low down in the rev range (maximim torque is developed at 1,400 rpm) and the car will pull away comfortably from 20 mph (or less) in top gear.  Therefore, you can get into top gear at a relatively low speed and stay there all day.

You don't need to thrash this motor.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:11:48 AM »

G'day Martin,

Thank you for your advice.

I will try to change the gears at a lower rev range to see what it is like for the engine and car.Sorry, for the stupid question, but would I have done any damage the way I drove it previously???. I am kinda new to the mechanical world Roll Eyes
Reason I drive it as described above is because I observed the previous owner changing the gears that way...
Can't wait to give her a run on my next outing!!

Cheers,

Han.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »

No I don't think you will damage it - the grey engine is pretty tough. Generally Martin is correct in what he says - for the most economical and lowest stress drive, change gears early and keep the revs down, but you can move the shift points up for faster acceleration and accompanying poorer economy.
The best way is to drive and see how it goes. The only thing you should not do is sustained peak revs in 1st or 2nd as this could quite possibly damage the engine.

Ken
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:42:25 AM »

Thank you all for replying.
I will try changing the gears earlier when I go for a cruise this weekend with the wife.

Best regards,

Han.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: