FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 11:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked Windscreen Repair  (Read 2992 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »

Probably about a year ago I was asking about replacing my windscreen - nothing happened yet as I have a gut feeling that I will do it only if I have to. Have had a lot of windscreen guys here afraid to touch old cars as they don't really know how to do them if you can't just stick them in like the new types.

Had one refitted 4 times and it still leaks...  Angry

So, there used to be a kit where you could drill a small hole in front of a crack to stop it spreading. The crack is not too big and it is top offside position so does not interfere with the driving. I bought a kit from an american supplier a few months back but what I got in the post was a star chip resin kit - not the same thing. Sent it back and said I ordered their drill kit and it turns out they don't do them anymore.

Does anyone know if these drill repair kits can be got in Oz? Or an overseas supplier? Anyone got one they could lend to me for a few weeks?  Grin

Thanks.
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:57:18 PM »

Hey Paul - Windscreens O'Brien always advertising that they repair those type of "chips" - surely with a name like that they've got a branch over there? Maybe check your golden pages over there to be sure, to be sure, to be sure though!  Wink

NosFEratu
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »

Kathy,

The Windscreens O'Brien job is for "star" chips on laminated glass.  I don't think it would work on our "safety glass".  (Now there's a misnomer if ever there was one!!)  It was called "safety glass" because it left a clear spot in front of the driver while the rest of the window crazed - after which the whole thing shattered and sprayed sharp glass over everybody!!

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »

No Kathi, I don't have a star chip. I have a crack about 20cm long on the top passenger side, on the outside laminate. I know if the crack was through both pieces I was f*cked in trouble. I remember doing this with my father on a car years ago - you just need the right drill bit and a guide so the thing doesn't slip.

P
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:59:58 PM »

When my missus had the windscreen in her Mitsu Sigma repaired (talking quite a few years ago here), she was given a sheet of half-a-dozen "Contact" circles, each about the size of 10c piece. One of these over a star or bullet stone-chip can help to stop it getting worse; we wound up using one or two later on, and they seemed to work.

I'd be inclined to think a 20cm crack is a bit beyond that, but putting some Durex (as you call it over there Shocked) can't hurt. It might help the crack from worsening, and can't do any harm.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »

Roll Eyes ok me dumb blonde today! didn't "see" the bit where Paul said it was a crackEmbarrassed  Smiley 

NosFEratu
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »

Just hold a windscreen bloke to ransom that if it leaks he will fix it mine was brand new $250 fitted has never leaked he whinged and moaned but did a good job.

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »

Kathi,

ok me dumb blonde today!

I guess that goes for me too - overlooking the fact that probably most FEs and FCs on the road today will have laminated windscreens.   Embarrassed

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: