FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 06, 2024, 09:48:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Setting Up the Clutch  (Read 6281 times)
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »

I am having trouble getting my clutch to work. I have bled the hydraulics and when i push on the clutch pedal there is movment at the slave cylinder, but the clutch fork doesn't seem to push the thrust bearing far enough to release the clutch plate. I stuffed around with it for hours last night, and i am really loosing patience with it. Has anyone got any ideas?
Cheers Scotty
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:54 AM »

Have you tried adjusting the rod at the gearbox end ?  It should be adjusted to take up nearly all the slack with just a little play.

How much throw movement are you getting ?  If the arm doesn't move much, then perhaps have a look at the master cylinder too.

Cheers
Peter.

crossply

Model: FC

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »

Have you tried adjusting your pedal height, master cylinder free-travel and pedal spring adjustment?
It's a bit of a pain to do. I made up a block of wood the right size to jam under the dash. then you get someone to press the pedal while you tighten up the bolts.
I think from memory, there are instructions on how to do this in the workshop manual.
Hope this helps,
Paul
GOA350
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »

Thanks Paul,
                i have gone back to the book and it does say to do this, and i might have to yet, but i didn't think it would be necessary because it has worked before, but now i have a different clutch in it, it may be necessary. I may need to go back to basics and start again.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »

Check the clutch fork isn't bent or broken.
ACE  Cool
wilburwilde

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »

+1 for what ACE said. I recently had to replace mine as the fork fingers were cracked thus not actuating thew thrust bearing properly.

Pictures available on this thread:
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,16102.msg96622.html#msg96622

Good luck!

Will

I wish I had lots more money so i could fix the FE and just cruize ALL day!!
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »

Scott, it sounds to me as though you still have a bleeding problem (presuming the adjustments are all correct). If you've had the Master cylinder apart (or a new master cylinder), they're sometimes quite difficult to get them to bleed properly.

You may have to unscrew the pipe from the master cylinder & hold your finger over the opening in the end of the cylinder while an assistant pulls the pedal back up from the floor. This should suck the fluid from the reservoir down into the cylinder.

Be VERY careful that you don't squirt brake fluid all over the engine bay!  Cry

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Graham
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »

Hey Scotty,

All good advice above!! Did you replace the spigot bush (small brass bush in the back end of the crankshaft)?

If so, make sure you pushed the new bush into the crankshaft far enough.  I did this once, hours of trouble shooting until the guys on this forum helped out.

Here is a picture of what I did wrong. 

" border="0

By not pushing the bush far enough in, the driveshaft was constantly been turned even when the clutch was engaged.

Good luck,

Phil

Here is a link to the full thred: http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,8550.0.html
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:50:27 PM »

Scotty, I know this is backward ,, but I had a similar problem when I tried putting my(engine bay refurb) fc into gear  for the first time after engine/gearbox removal . Everything was fine as far as clutch fork travel etc but wouldn't disengage to select any gear.I made the fatal mistake of bleeding the clutch into a container (similar to the sock, "no mess no fuss") then recycled the fluid to the master cylinder. Sometimes its the silliest of things that give you the biggest of shits. Hope its something silly,
Gary C
GOA350
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »

All sorted. It was a bent clutch fork. Gear box out, fork changed, gearbox back in, everything back together, and guess what......... it works. Took it for its first drive in 30 years at about 9pm last night.
 Cheers Scotty
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »

10 out of 10 for the dynamic "Diagnostic Duo" - ACE and wilburwilde!

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
wilburwilde

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »

Just glad I could return the favour others have shown to me here.

Will

I wish I had lots more money so i could fix the FE and just cruize ALL day!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: