FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 07:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Old Rubbers  (Read 2289 times)
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:16 AM »

Snuff69's question about new rubbers has prompted this question:

Between now and next Easter I will have to replace the door rubbers on my car.  The rubber that's there is 50 years old - cracked, brittle, broken and ineffectual.

Keeping in mind that the car's paint is original (and will stay that way), how can I remove the old broken rubber and adhesive without damaging the paintwork (for example, I can't use thinners or it will take the paint off)?

Thanks

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »

Martin, make or buy a tool shaped like a wood chisel but made of wood or hard plastic. This will enable you to remove the rubbers almost entirely in one piece. You should try and retain pieces which are in good order. Particularly the piece which runs down the pillar in the rear door as the shape on the repro rubber is not right. By gluing in this piece you will find that your doors will shut much better. The other piece to retain if it is in good order is the moulded section in the front door just at the base of the quarter vent. This will really help the door close better when the job is finished. I have at times used lots of moulded sections from the old rubbers when installing new rubbers and as long as the rubber is still good there is no reason to replace it with an inferior section.
I'm not saying that you can't get a complete repro rubber to work in a door - you can.

As far as removing the old glue etc, the wooden chisel will remove just about all of it.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »

Thinners will definitely remove the paint you can use Wax and grease remover know as  [Prepsol or Prepwash] or white spirits should be also OK for removing the glue and cleaning up ready for your new rubbers ........FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:09:10 PM »

Many thanks, Ken.

... make or buy a tool shaped like a wood chisel but made of wood or hard plastic. This will enable you to remove the rubbers ...

Yes and it works a treat - brilliant.

... almost entirely in one piece
... thousand pieces   Cheesy.  Not that it matters - I didn't expect anything else.  And instead of removing the bits over the hinges, I'll leave them in and butt the new rubber up against them.

I'm not sure about the front door bit yet - at this stage I'll tackle a back door for practice.

Thanks for the tip on prepsol, Mark.  I'll pick some up during the week.

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: