FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:40:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Gauge stuck on Full  (Read 5564 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »

This an earthing issue?
Goes to Empty when car off....

yaapeet11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »

Be nice to hear that it is an easy fix as I have exactly the same problem! Undecided
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »

Sounds like an earth issue to me, i used to have an fc in the 70's that had a fuel guage that would go to full when you filled it up and it would stay there untill you had about 20 miles to empty,at that time it would start to move and bounce and head in the  general direction of empty fast.
Cheers
Deano.

FE and FC"S rule.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »

Thats what I am thinking but its all the way to the right no matter what unless I cut power. I can't work out where the bad contact is though. thought it was the brown wire so tried to clean it without ripping everything out.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »

Let us know how you go with it Nes, mines the same in the wagon, goes to full when you turn the key and stays there till you turn it off  Angry
Gary
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »

i havent even hooked my sender up yet and it goes to full.check your sender wire hasn't fallen off,or earthing to the body somewhere.

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »

Guys,
There are a couple of things that could do this. Make sure the plastic is in place on the two post connectors on the back of the gauge. The conector post marked sender should not "earth" or touch the gauge metal. (neither should the power).This would create the condition that the guage reads full.It could also be faulty sender units. This could be tested by removing the sender wire on the gauge.If it goes back to empty then the sender is faulty. Waynos if your gauge reads full without the sender wire connected, then i believe you have the above condition (terminal post touching gauge metal) or simply a faulty gauge.
Regards brett
fcv85l

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »

i think you will find early holden fuel gauges read high when open circuit IE crook sender or poor connection between sender and gauge as they are not a bi metal type gauge,earth the sender wire at tank and see if it returns to empty,also run a test earth at a known test point directly to the sender housing to ascertain sender earth,remember the gauge earths through the cluster housing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: