FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 06:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Polishing Chrome and Brass - What are the best Products to Use?  (Read 2976 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »

Hello all,

What are the most effective (read best) products to use that will give chrome/stainless and brass a mirror shine?

The reason being that I have a FX Holden grille and Grille badge in good condition that I want to polish up.

Kind regards,

Josh

Ol_Girl_58

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »

Most liquid polishes will bring good chrome up well, however a problem that a lot of people have is that their chrome has gone off - ie gone dull, and no amount of polish will bring it back.

Stainless on the other hand can always be returned to its glory with stainless compound and a buffing wheel.

Ken
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »

A product called Autosol does a fine job.  There are a few types.  One is marked for polishing chrome.  Supercheap and automotive stores stock this product.  A toothpaste size tube is around $9.00.  It is also good for polishing bakelite.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »

Autosol is good value for the price and great for restoring dull alloys but I've found Purple Metal Polish perfect for putting a shine on chrome parts such as bumpers and grilles.

I've also used the Brite Shine product shown below and found that its a good solution for polishing stainless once its fitted to the car.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »

Autosol is a great product for polishing alloy, brass etc, I've been using it on my bikes for years and would highly recommend it, don't use it on chrome though as it is an abrasive and will eventually dull it, use a non abrasive polish on the chrome.
                                                     Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I bought some Purple Polish today. According to the label, it cleans aluminium, brass, copper, chrome, silver and stainless. Bargain!

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: