FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:35:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rims  (Read 2282 times)
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »

I am restoring my FC back to original, however wish to fit radial tyres.  Are radials with tubes safe enough on the original rims or in the interests of safety in the event of a blowout is it preferable to use original HR rims with safety bead?

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »

This is a question that could also be written this way

I am restoring my FC back to original, however wish to fit a sports steering wheel.  Is the original column safe enough on the car or in the interests of safety in the event of a crash is it preferable to use a collapsible column?

It all depends on your definition of "safe enough". Yes radials on original rims are pretty safe, but not as safe as HR rims. Questions such as "How fast do you anticipate going?", "Will it be regularly driven?" and "How hard are you on tyres?" could be asked to help you with the answer to this question.

Ken
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »

Ken  The reason for the question is that  I have a concern with the tyre coming off of the rim if a blowout or deflating occurs.  Recently I heard of a person driving an FC with original rims that suffered a deflated front tyre while driving at 60km/hr.  The tyre ran off the rim and threw the car quickly to one side.  No injuries and no damage in this instance. 

Speed, not real fast, probably no more than 90kmh on highway. I am not hard on tryes and generally a sedate driver.  it will be a daily driver although only low K's.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »

Yes I understand the method of failure - I would not find it a problem - I am running radials on stock FC rims.

Ken
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »

Keith, over the chrisrmas break I had a punture repair done. On my 2nd drive of my stock FC, the tyre popped off the rim at 120 kph. I have since been informed the tyre fitter may have stretched the beads on the tyre. There was no damage and no danger at all. Just cost me a full set of tyres. 

Townsville North Queensland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: