FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 04, 2024, 11:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FX and FC red motor swap  (Read 4478 times)
nige and Jody

Where do I start?

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »

G'day all,

I was wondering if somebody can help me out seeing as VICROADS is very vague.  A mate of mine wants to throw a red motor into his FX and I have thought about a red motor in my FC.  What I want to know is firstly, do I need an engineers certificate for the different engine mounts or firewall mods (if it even needs firewall mods???) and secondly do I need to fit a disc brake front end if the red motor is a hot 192? ie is there a HP rule?

I am pretty sure the disc brake answer will be no as disc brakes were only an option well into the red motor era, but I am really unsure about the engineers certificate.

Thanks in advance

Nige and Jody

FC225 (in progress), FB215 (waiting), EJ229A (go'er)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »

Nige and Jody, you don't mention which state you are in which is a bit problematic since there are different interpretations in each state. You will need an engineers report in every state for a hot 192. I believe you can fit a red 138 in NSW without engineering.  Most engineers require a brake fade test which will mandate a disc front end to pass. I have not seen any red motor cars get through engineering lately with original brakes  - especially not a hotter motor.

You will find a lot of other stuff will need to be done as well including dual master cylinder and 2 speed wipers.

Ken
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

Kens right regarding the NSW law.

To further on from that,

In NSW you are permitted owner certified engine capacity increase of 15% above the maximum standard engine capacity( including optional engines offered as factory fitted).This negates the added expense of an engineer and the added expense of modifications to buy and fit to comply with engineer requirements.

For example:-

An original 138 grey motor powered car would be permitted a maximum engine capacity of 157 cubic inches without the need for any modifications at all other than welding in the required red motor engine mounts into the kingpin front end.So a 138 red motor and a 149 red motor is accepted.Unfortunately a 161 cubic inch red motor just misses out on the owner certified modification rule and would need an engineers certificate and mods required.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

Just re-read your post and saw you mentioned VICROADS so going by that your in Victoria so the N.S.W  laws don't apply.Strange that Vicroads are vague about the question,Vicroads make up the rules so they should know the rules... maybe you spoke to the work experience kid Wink Wink Wink.

Maybe try ringing again and ask to speak to someone in Technical advisary section if they have one or ask for contact numbers for a Vicroads recognised engineer and they should be able to give you some yes or no answers on what you can and can't do.Have your list of questions ready to fire off to them.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »

Just to pinch a bit of this tread----- can any one enlighten me as to when a 138 grey turns into a 138 red? Huh

regards
Weddo
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »

Gidday all

I think I might have spoken to the same kid as info given was very general and very vague.[and he was in the technical section Undecided] So what I did was go on to the Vicroads site and follow the links to their list of engineers, picked one out and rang him.
What he said was basically what Ken has already said:

2 speed wipers
At least two rear view mirrors
Lap sash belts on all four outside seats
Demister

He also said that "strictly" you didnt need disc brakes but since the drums wouldnt pass the fade test anyway I might as well fit discs now instead of being sent back to do it.A kit is available to do this but I would recommend HR front end as being more practicle and an easy fit.

Hope this helps

Denis

PS: Weddo the 138 red was also known as the 2250 as fitted to LC and LJ Toranas
nige and Jody

Where do I start?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »

Thanks all, yep definitely in Victoria,  I will ring an engineer and give them a go. 

Cheers

Nige

FC225 (in progress), FB215 (waiting), EJ229A (go'er)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »

Weddo a 138 grey is an entirely different motor to a 138 red. The 138 red is effectively a red motor with bore and stroke dimensions that make its capacity 138 cubic inches. As stated it was fitted primarily to Toranas.

I would strongly recommend the HR front end rather than the disc kit for the king pin front end - it is a compromise in many respects and does not adapt well.

ken
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

Thank you -- I am now enlightened Cheesy and maybe a little wiser ... just a little bit Grin

regards
weddo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: