FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 03:57:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: better brakes for FE  (Read 4235 times)
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:03:28 AM »

Gidday All

Trying to fit HT brakes to effie. Discs onto HR front no problems but when i tried to bolt HT backing plates onto HR rear the trouble started. Discovered that HR has a shorter collar on axle which meant that the back of the wheel studs hits ths slave cylinder Angry Luckily I have some Torana discs and can hopefully source some HR rear drum brakes. Nats are only 3 weeks away Shocked. Questions are:

1: Is there anything else I can do about the HT brakes?

2: Torana callipres need a kit. Is this costly and time consuming?

3: Can I still use the HT booster with the smaller brakes? I also have a Gemini booster but it will need work.

4: Which size brake line should I use?I am assuming that by going to a "split system" I will have to run extra brake line from master cylinder.Is it safe to mix and match or should I use one size throughout?
[I am converting from all FE to all HR running gear]

5: [last one i promise Wink] Are HT and HR rear wheel cylinders the same?

Denis
FjJohn

Golden oldies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »

Denis to fit HT rear brakes use HZ backing plate.Will just need to enlarge centre hole so bearing will fit thru.Rear wheel cyl same for HD-HG for disc front.HK -WB brake shoes all the same. I have fitted this system to my FJ using HT master and gemini booster also used proportioning valve from HJ.My car is not finished yet but got the info from an article in a 1989 Street & Custom mag Hope this helps. John
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »

You could probably get away with running stock HR rear drums with the HT disc front. A little underbraked at the rear is not a bad thing, overbraked at the rear is much worse.

HT booster will be OK but the Gemini booster will be easier to fit.

Brake line size makes no difference to performance - but you can convert to 3/16 pipe easily by using the system from an EK. It all bolts straight into place with no modification. But if you are going to repipe the front half of the car with all new gear, then you may as well repipe the rear as well and then everything is new.

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:41:04 AM »

Thanks Ken and John

So does the HT master bolt straight up to the gemini booster without mods? I have the gemini master as well but it needs a kit wheras the HT doesnt.

I got a quote today to rekit Torana calipers at $170 the pair at a brake shop and $55 per side for HR rear brakes from a wrecker.Does this sound reasonable?

If I go the smaller brakes on the rear will the engineer mind? Would a proportioning valve be required?

Is the HZ backing plate set further back to allow clearance and does the HT guts just bolt straight on to it? I am assuming HT drum will fit no probs. Is HQ-HX just as good?Why did you need a proportioning valve?

Sorry about the extra questions but I find both suggestions appealing and maybe some day somebody else will have a similar dillema and this may help.

Thanks again

Denis
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

No HT master does not bolt up to Gemini booster - best master to use is XB but others do fit.

Prices sound reasonable - calipers have to be recoed, the HR rears are available new.

The engineer doesn't mind what brakes you use - you must pass a brake test and if you do that, he will give you a tick. 70% of brake stopping force comes from the front brakes and only 30% from the rear. So if you swing this to 75-25 then it doesn't effect the performance greatly.

A proportioning valve limits brake pressure to the rear wheels - by using the smaller HR rear brakes you are limiting the brake force so you do not need to limit them any more

Can't answer the question about fitting the HT or later rear brakes to the HR rear end.

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »

no worries

thanks ken you have been a real help

Denis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: