FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 06:58:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ignition wiring  (Read 3066 times)
roach

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »

Just wondering if anyone can help out, my hand me down fe had an ignition switch meltdown, after getting new ignition switch i can't get any power to the switch. Thers power to the starter motor from the battery, but i dont know where it goes from there. I don't seem to have any power to the fuse box, is there another main fuse that could have blown when the ignition switch gave up.

Any help would be great thanks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:04:25 PM »

There is a pink wire which runs to the back of the switch - this is the usual culprit - it gets hot, melts the insulation, then shorts. Check out the wiring carefully - you may have to replace this wire.

Ken
roach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »

thanks for that, ill try that tomorrow when its a bit lighter and i'm not so frustrated.
roach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »

this must have been rewired at  some stage cause i can't find any pink wires at all at the switch, thanks for the advise but it might be time to take a trip to the auto elecs
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:06 PM »

The wire which runs from the +ve side of the coil to the IGN terminal on the switch is the original pink wire.  So disconnect this wire at the coil and the ignition and run a replacement and see whether this powers up the switch.

Ken
roach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »

thanks for your help ken, found a wire from the starter motor to the ignition switch burnt out, replaced wire. got the car to start but when you release the key from the crank position everything loses power, apperently the ballast resistor is at fault, i didnt even know what a ballast resistor was untill my old man says every car has them are you stupid or something. thanks for your help
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »

Well he's sort of right - only those pesky red motors need ballast resistors since their coils run on an inferior 7 volts, whist greys run no ballast resistor and the coils are man enough to take the whole 12 volts. Eh's and the like have the resistor inbuilt in the pink wire which can be confusing.

Couldn't resist - sorry Kiss

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: