FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 23, 2024, 08:33:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Can you fit a black 202 elect dissy in a red 202?  (Read 3646 times)
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »

Is this possible?
fe1957
qld-club

Model: FE

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

If it is out of an efi motor then yes if it was out of the carby model then no.
The carby motor used a computer\crank angle sensor\so from what I have read incompatable.
cheers
Grant

OFE570
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »

You can not use the Black mtr EFI dissy as it is controlled by a computer to adjust the timing .Most of us run the Blue mtr dissy and coil combo always good to check that your power supply from the ignition is 12 volts with a multi meter and that the supply wire is not ballasted like on later Holdens [only 10 volts] it is also a good idea to have the dissy Graphed so you know that the advance curve is working where it is meant to, and you end up with the right total advance for you particular engine.  FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »

bugger as mate has a Bosh HEI dissy with coil from a black motor and was thinking of buying it.
craiga
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:50:57 AM »

I use a Procomp billet dissy in my XU1, with a Bosch GT-40 coil. The Procomp dissy was only $195.00 and the coil about $50.00. Possibly a good alternative to sourcing the correct Holden one, that's now around 20 years old.

Brand new, easy to source, full mechanical advance (no vacuum advance) and works atreat.

I got mine off ePay.
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »

Hey David,
The Bosch  HEI Coil and Dizzy your mate has was fitted to the VC, VH and WB.
Be sure it has the tin cover for the module on the side of the Dizzy.
Fitting these to Black motors was a low cost effective way (cheap) to getting back on the road fast.

Seb

Yellow Knight

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »

Re: the black motor dizzy, you CAN use a dizzy from the EFI model black motor.

Not many people realise that there are a number of different model distributors that differ in their advance curve for commodores.

The more common have a model number on the side of them ending in 700, 702.

The VK EFI motor had an improved cam and was set at around 12 degrees static advance.  It's dizzy model ends in 720 and is more suited to "cammed" engines - i.e. the advance curve starts later at around 1200rpm etc...

A friend was able to source me a brand new 720 shaft with weights direct from bosch earlier this year and it performed much better than any of the times I have had the original 700 model regraphed.  This way you end up with a "brand new" dizzy if you replace the module at the same time.

The procomp unit Craig uses adds up to be very cost effective, although no vac advance wont allow best possible economy if you have a daily driver.

You can see the different cam profiles used in the red/pollution red/blue/black/efi motor here:

http://www.tighecams.com.au/cars.htm

I hope this helps
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: